A Healthy Respect That Saves Lives

PastorsDayOff

Despite the fact that I have been around all types of boat, and spent much time on them, both at sea and inland over the last 40 or so years, and even though I am a strong and confident swimmer, I would still confess, that I am somewhat afraid of water.

I have always respected water as something that is largely uncontrollable, immensely powerful, and devastatingly destructive.

Even so; I have been, like many, one of those who has perhaps let bravado and coolness get in the way of safety; thus, over those many years I have been on boats, I have not allowed myself to adopt the safe practice of wearing a Lifejacket. Even at sea, sailing often with other men, it didn’t seem to be cool to wear a lifejacket, unless the sea conditions became particularly unfavourable.

Now a little older, and somewhat more aware of my own mortality, when we bought our own sailing boat last year, I felt the need to make it a rule, that everyone on my boat must wear a life jacket, a decision that I was glad I made over this last weekend, as my wife, a confident and seasoned boater and strong swimmer, misjudged the distance whilst we were mooring, to find herself suddenly overboard in the Broads.

Whilst we were thankfully not in fast moving water, the very cold of the water shocked her to the point that she could not actually swim. Thankfully, the self inflating life jacket did its job, and inflated quickly to keep her head above water.

Help came quickly from fellow boaters, to whom I am eternally grateful. But the sobering truth is this, HER LIFE JACKET SAVED HER LIFE!

So please please hear my plea. It doesn’t matter the conditions, and it doesn’t matter how sheltered your boat is, respect the water, and wear your lifejackets.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3