Helm Seat

We would welcome any advice on "free standing" helm seats. We are putting a new floor in our wheel house and really don't want to screw down a big immovable post with a chair on top! Does anyone have any suggestions, we've seen some "bar stool" arrangements. some very good - some disasters! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Going to Excel Boat show in January, would really welcome some guidance about what to look for..... Thanks

Simon & Sonia

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Simon & Sonia, have you thought about a "fold out" type of seat?. A free standing stool type will always need somewhere to stand or be stowed when not in use, but a fold out type would not need any floor space, and when not in use, could be folded away increasing evening living space. Just a thought. Regards .................. Neil.

Simon, as you are fitting the new floor you are in a good position to fit a pedestal seat, in case you are not familiar they consist of a large diameter tube that sits securely in a recessed receptacle fitted to the floor, the tube and seat can be easily removed. Any kind of seat can be fitted to the top and they will swivel rearward to become a “sociable" seat when moored or anchored and unlike many seats have good up and down adjustment and are easily removable, you will find many examples at L.I.B.S.

Thanks Neil & David for your replies.

I was considering something like a draughtsman's chair. That would likely give the height we need and with 5 feet on the base also give stability. I saw a picture of a new Neilsenn boat in AA a while ago that had something like that. I was wondering whether there is a "marine" version. Given that we are talking river crusier only, then the need to have the seat leg(s) pemanently srewed down or attached to the floor is not critical