Bilge paint

Hi,

I was up at the boatyard yesterday spraying wood preserver around the inside of the hull. In the past the boat has been painted with Bilge paint and traces of this are left. If the wood is painted I assume the wood preserver will just run off and not penetrate into the wood, or will the paint protect the wood instead. The fact bilge paint is made suggests it does have a function, so what does it do and is it a good idea to use bilge paint on a wooden hull?

Ian

I would imagine that paint serves the same purpose as wood preserver Ian, i.e. to provide a barrier against too much moisture penetrating the wood. Paint is probably more appropriate in an inboard boat where it makes the engine bilge easier to keep clean as it provides a smooth coat unlike wood preserver. From a purely logical standpoint I would have thought a product like wood preserver is more effective due to its greater penetrative quality also it often contains an ani fungal and incecticidal element.

Paint is probably more appropriate in an inboard boat where it makes the engine bilge easier to keep clean as it provides a smooth coat unlike wood preserver.

That's my understanding anyway.

I've used International's "Danboline" on many boats, wooden and glassfibre.

It goes on to any substrate without needing a primer or undercoat, and provides a hard smooth coating which is resistant to oil and fuel.

As long as you degrease carefully first, you can really tidy up a bilge or engine room very easily and quickly. I find the grey covers very well with just one coat, but the white needs several.

I'm not sure how effective wood preserver would be in an enclosed space with standing water.

the main reason behind a bilge paint is to serve as a barrier to prevent oil/water/petrol etc to seep into the wood of the hull, it is also when smoothly applied on all hulls to try and prevent dirt collecting in low spots to allow for a nice clean looking bilge, as a smooth bilge is easier to clean.

a wood preserver would soak into the wood to prevent rot however would provide little protection from contaminates moisture soaking in.

Danboline is a good product however If I remember correctly should usually use it with International Yacht Primer on a wooden boat.

HTH

;) always happy to help.

you could possibly treat the wood with preserver and then over coat with yacht primer and danboline however I doubt anyone from international would recommend it incase the preserver and primer dont like each others company :naughty:

Hi,

The Cuprinol sounds like the preservative I get from the boatyard. Every year I spray in a gallon or so when the boat has dried out on the hard standing. As I do not have an inboard engine the need for a cleanable surface is not important. What concerns me about a painted surface is if the wood moved the paint might crack and flake leaving the opportunity for water to get under the paint leading to rot (however the preservative spray would also penetrate these points as well so I suppose that is not a problem).

With the new year just started it is good to think the new season is on the way :dance

Ian