A River In Winter

Hylander

Well well well, you learn something every day! Keith King being the son of Archie King Now Keith was a really really  nice bloke - now doesn't his son, Mark, run one of the yards at Wayford?  Sons don't always inherit the traits of their fathers then?

The coasters were always a laugh as were the string of barges going up to the gasworks. I think the tugs towed 3 or 4 barges, each with a steerer- must have been frozen stiff by the time they got to Norwich. Men were real men then!!!! Often the last barge could not see the tug, the tows were that long!!!!

And as for crushing boats, I remember Vic Bell launching a new private boat for the admiring owner, only for it to be squished by a coaster going downstream - neither Vic or the owner were happy bunnies!! Trouble was you there were always getting into difficulties - two meeting on Postwick bend sorted out the Skipper with most balls!!!

And as for Carrow Bridge, always a good excuse after nipping down to the Woods End with the telephonist for lunch!!

P.S. I think Carrow Bridge does or will work again soon - its Trowse which is the bridge which needs 6 mths notice to open and then only between, 1 a.m. and 2 a.m.!!!!!!