Any experiene with a dry bag?

brandenjg

Hi everyone

I'm off to purchase a 22 litre Ortileb dry bag later on today and i was wondering if anyone had used one of these or any Dry bag before. I'll be using it to hold mobile phones, wallets, and possibly jumpers. I spoke to a member of staff in GO OUTDOORS in norwich but they seemed pretty confused about my questions. What i'd like to know is if they're practical to use and whether they float or not.

Thanks in advance :P

I used to use one when fishing from an open (cuddy) boat at sea, never a problem with water and yes they float unless you fill them with bricks, you may wish to consider an alternative which you may be able to scrounge FOC and that is an old flare jar, they have the advantage of not breaking stuff inside if somebody treads on them.

I used to use one when fishing from an open (cuddy) boat at sea, never a problem with water and yes they float unless you fill them with bricks, you may wish to consider an alternative which you may be able to scrounge FOC and that is an old flare jar, they have the advantage of not breaking stuff inside if somebody treads on them.

Seconded...

I've had one for about 15 years now, and always use it in my canoe or dinghy, perfect for the job. Tough as old boots, and absolutely waterproof with the 6" diameter screw top with heavy rubber washer. It's 15" tall, and 8" square, and holds cameras, binoculars, GPS and phone with ease. Much better than a bag or "waterproof" sack.

The volume is about 15 litres, so you'd have to put more than 30 lbs in it before it would sink.

Don't forget to always tie it to the dinghy with attached lanyard though, that's the trouble with things that float, they float away....

They're on Ebay brand new (empty) for about £30, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Box-Squa ... 2551de8bbd

but you can usually pick a secondhand one up for about £15 on Ebay or at Boat Jumbles.

post-669-13671388338_thumb.png

I ended up buying a 22 litre one today, bright red so will be easy to see.

Tested it in the bath and seems to work a treat, very hard to push under the water so thumbs up as far as floating goes.

Hopefully i wont have any issue with people treading on it as theres no walking room on my little boat so it'll sit safely at the back of the boat. I've seen a couple of those flare boxes floating in the river, I'll have to collect the next one i see, may have something inside someones lost :? Always thought they were just litter.