Photos Of The Broads From The '80s And '90s

Myalibi

23 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Did you go on it when they had an open day on the first one they built? We did, and I had the same reaction as you. It really did have the WOW factor.

Yes Graham we did, if I remember there was a sign on the boat inviting people aboard , Lesley and I went on board to see what it was like, I remember being very impressed,bit of a shame HW don’t seem to look after them a bit better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

Also noted that the balance was due, it looks like, less than 3 weeks before arrival. They have your money in their bank 8 weeks before now. 

screenshot-forum_norfolkbroadsnetwork_com-2024_09_10-21_31_08.png

I noticed that so I've been looking through some of my following invoices:

1982 Brooms through Blakes 4 weeks, 1983 Beaver Fleet through Blakes 4 weeks,

1984 Horizon through Hoseasons 4 weeks.

1986 booked direct with Richardsons 6 weeks

It seemed to stay at 4 weeks with Blakes and Hoseasons until 1997 when Blakes extended it to 8 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

It seemed to stay at 4 weeks with Blakes and Hoseasons until 1997 when Blakes extended it to 8 weeks.

Blakes went from being moderately profitable in 1996, to large losses in subsequent years, before eventually selling to Holiday Cottages Group in late 98. I can't remember exactly when, but my mum left around the same time, having worked for them since the early 70s. 1997 really marked the beginning of the end for the company and the change in payment terms probably reflected the need to get more money in quicker to try and balance the books.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Did you go on it when they had an open day on the first one they built? We did, and I had the same reaction as you. It really did have the WOW factor.

Before I bought the Alfa, I went and viewed one at South Waltham,lovely boat but I couldn’t get the seller to move on price,shame as it would have been big enough even for the grand kids .

• Sad 2