cruising times

wonderwoman

Can anyone please tell me how long it will take to get to the Beauchamp Arms near Cantley from Royalls in Wroxham. I pick up Royall Velet 1 on 21st July for 1 weeks cruise. We can be away from the boatyard by about 2ish pm ad are hoping to get to Acle. We have heard the meals are good in the Bridge Inn! Also does anyone know if Johnny Depp ever brought Claxton Manor as my daughter is convinced she will meet him!

Hi, daughter is mad on him at moment, shes been searching the net to try and find where he is (very close to stalking). Where she thought he had bought turn ou to be Claxton House which is actually a care home! He has infact bought a house just outside Kings Lynn about 3months ago according to the internet! Will believe it when i see him with my own eyes. :wave

Can anyone please tell me how long it will take to get to the Beauchamp Arms near Cantley from Royalls in Wroxham. I pick up Royall Velet 1 on 21st July for 1 weeks cruise. We can be away from the boatyard by about 2ish pm ad are hoping to get to Acle. We have heard the meals are good in the Bridge Inn! Also does anyone know if Johnny Depp ever brought Claxton Manor as my daughter is convinced she will meet him!

With those tides

Sat 21 Jul 2012 bst 09:28 08:58 08:28 07:28 05:58 06:58 5:00 21:01

21:58 21:28 20:58 19:58 18:28 19:28

Sun 22 Jul 2012 bst 10:06 09:36 09:06 08:06 06:36 07:36 5:01 21:00

22:37 22:07 21:37 20:37 19:07 20:07

Mon 23 Jul 2012 bst 10:44 10:14 09:44 08:44 07:14 08:14 5:02 20:58

You could leave Acle at 05.15 on Sunday morning and be through GH at slack water about 07.14. Then it would be about 3 hours to the Beauchamp Arms.

Alternatively (and I would do this) you could go straight through GH at 19.30 on Sat and on to the Berney Arms for the night (sunset 21.00).

We will be about the Yare that week so pls keep us posted! cheersbar

[quote="Hockham Admiral

We will be about the Yare that week so pls keep us posted! cheersbar

We'll also be there from the 23rd July on Alpha Swift from Brundall, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for you all, must remember to put the forum flag in the windows.

Jim

John has mentioned "the Tides" in his reply, but I don't know if you have cruised on the Broads before and realise the significance of why this was mentioned.

Any trip through Great Yarmouth needs to be timed to pass through there just after low water, because at most other times the currents through there can run as high as 5 mph. That makes it very tricky when they're with you, pushing you along, (at over 8 mph to still be able to steer), and very heavy going when they're against you, to make any speed against them.

Therefore any passage through Yarmouth needs to be carefully timed to coincide with "Low water Slack", which is about one hour after low water (low tide) at Yarmouth Yacht Station.

You can print your own free local Tide Table here: http://www.norfolk-broads.org/index.htm

( click "Tides" in the left hand menu, then "click here to print or view a tide table" )

Thanks for all replys. Have been on the Broads hundreds of times mainly when i was younger so didn't needto worry about tides. Have been a few times with my husband and kids but never crossed Breydon Water, normally do North side of the broads which we love. Love Royalls boatyard never had problem with any boat from them, always ready when we arrive, very clean, beds always made and a bottle of wine! What more could I ask for! Only daugther coming this year and she fancied seeing the South side. Not sure if I fancy getting up that early tough. I will be on holiday afterall! Will keep eveyone informed with what we decide to do. :Stinky

Hi Wonderwoman,

Strowager is correct if your planning on crossing Breydon you need aim to pass through Yarmouth at slack water on the low tide. That applies crossing both ways, north to south and back south to north. Slack water is about an hour after low water. At low water the flow outward is still very strong up to about 5 mph. Going with the current i.e. North to South this will greatly impact your ability to steer and coming back you will have the engine running at high revs and be hardly moving. There is another slack water at high tide but very few boats will be able to get under the bridges at this time.

On Breydon make sure you stay between the markers as the water is very shallow outside them and you will run aground. Apart from that providing the weather is good its a piece of cake, but be ware Breydon is a tidal estuary and not a broad, there are no speed limits although faster craft should slow for you, some wont :norty: and it can get choppy. Make sure everyone is inside the boat, and you use a little common sense where safety is concerned, life jackets etc especially for any younger members in your party.

If your used to the northern rivers remember on the south side the tidal range is measured in feet not inches, so use long lines and plenty on slack in your lines when mooring. Enjoy!