Beg, borrow or hire

Not sure where to put this but I am thinking of servicing my alpha 1 gen 2 drives myself.

Don't mind the engine servicing and general bits and pieces, generally you can always do it again if it is not quite right but am a bit worried about doing the bits that will need a lift out if they are not right, not to mention the possibility of sinking the boat or a very expensive repair bill if I get it wrong.

That aside in order to do it apparently I will need a bellows expander a bearing puller for the Gimble bearing a hinge pin extractor and an engine alignment tool.

Does anyone know where I could beg, borrow or hire these bits as by the time I have spent a couple of hundred quid on them it is seriously going to offset any savings made by doing it myself and I am not anticipating keeping the boat long enough to need them again.

Ian

I researched hiring but no go when we had our A1 I did have all that kit but gave some of it away when we sold Genji Ian, the expander is only needed to pull the exhaust bellows on and they can be done without, you really need the gear change cable socket too, I may have the hinge pin tool and cable socket somewhere, I will have a search, you only need the gimble bearing puller if you intend to replace the bearing which is not usually required if it has been greased regularly. One recommendation, only buy genuine Mercruiser boots as the Sierra aftermarket ones are the devil's own job to fit, get the right bellows adhesive too and make sure all is clean. Also it makes lighter work if you seperate the lower drive first so you have less weight to manipulate.