hamiltons navigations

jannphil

did hamiltons navigations ever get republished if so where is it obtainable and how much

To answer the opening posters question, (which is not on this or the linked thread),

No, the last issue of Hamilton's was the 34th, published in 2001, ISBN 0 903094 08 8

The rights were then bought out, with the stated intention of bringing out a new edition, but this has never appeared.

Unfortunately, since then, the banks of the Broads have undergone the most widespread changes in decades with the EA 20 year Flood Alleviation Scheme.

After staying the same for decades, the detail in the book is now almost totally out of date, with big changes in mooring locations etc..

The Hamilton's guides now make interesting historical reading, but are of little value as a guidebook any more. (a great shame too).

Hello Strowager,

I suppose the same can be said for the Jarrold guide "What to do On The Norfolk Broads (ISBN 0-7117-1122-4) published 2000, I found and still find this to be a good reference book of the Broads. Its a pity it was not updated.

I still use the Hamilton's "Broads tide calculator" and "Yarmouth slack water passage times" that I bought years ago from Norfolk Marine.

Regards

Alan

That's true Alan, the radical EA alterations have now made all Broads guides inaccurate in their bank descriptions and many mooring locations.

The shame about Hamilton's specifically is that his style was so detailed, concentrating on the natural features of each side of each river, yard by yard.

Claud Hamilton created them as a labour of love, rather than a business opportunity, whilst continually navigating the system himself. It's difficult to imagine anyone today accomplishing the same level of detail and insight as a profit making business opportunity.

More recent guides like Jarrolds are a completely different approach, concentrating on publicising local businesses primarily, rather than the geography of the water itself.

I bought the Nicholson/Collins Guide recently pending my first trip on the Broads since 1989. When it arrived I thought it must be missing some pages! What a useless book it is on the whole. Aware that of course things will have changed quite a lot I shall nevertheless now bring along my trusty "What To Do . . ." guide from 1989 & my even more vintage 1982 copy of "The Broads Book". Plus the OS Explorer map & a load of stuff downloaded from various websites. I might even make photocopies of the maps from The Broads Book & amend them as we go!

What a disappointment that there is not now a book of the calibre of Hamiltons, to be perused over both before, during & after a week afloat. This is progress?