Evermore 320 external GPS receiver

Guest Brucec

Does anyone know whether the Evermore 320 is a sensible purchase? The market leader seems to be the Raymarine 125, which costs north of 200 quid, whereas the Evermore is typically 90 and has what looks like no worse a spec. Initial planned usage is with a Raymarine DSC VHF and a Raymarine Bidata to show SOG. I assume that the Raymarine 125 can use Seatalk, so all my kit would talk to each other nicely if I bought that, but presumably the Evermore would work fine using NMEA? Or am I just being a cheapskate?

I'm a newbie in this area ...

Bruce

I would go for the 125 Bruce, you can get them well under the 200 mark from many suppliers, the main reason apart from the undoubted quality of the Raymarine is the simplicity of interface, and there’s a Ray service place on every street corner. it may well be that you can just “plug and play†the other but if you do have any problems each manufacturer will just blame the other’s software or firmware. The 125 is an excellent receiver with both NMEA 0183 and Seatalk (old generation), I have two powering my plotters and can’t fault them for simplicity of installation and performance. :-D

Thanks very much David. Yes, I thought I was being a cheapskate! I'll go for the Raymarine.

Probably a silly question - why do you need 2 GPS receivers? :?

Bruce

Probably a silly question - why do you need 2 GPS receivers? :? Bruce

One big 12" plotter for the navigator which also carries radar overlay, MARPA, engine & fuel usage monitoring etc. one 5" one for the helmsman, I prefer to have a seperate reciever for each as if anything goes wrong en route at least I have one working.