New Lens - Now walking with a limp!

Guest lordofsealand

I have just bought a new lens for my Canon.

It is a 17 - 40mm "L" USM ultra wide angle lens.

I will be trying it tomorrow as have been called to photograph a wedding in the Reg Office at Norwich Friday afternoon.

What I will do after the wedding and when I have more time will be to compare my other wide angle lens that I use (28 90mm) with the new one.

Not exactly the same focal lengths but will be interesting to see the differance.

So watch this space for a non technical comparasion.

Not exactly the same focal lengths but will be interesting to see the difference

Hi Paul will you be able to notice a big difference compared to the your old lens and will it be noticeable straight away

Very nice Paul - enjoy it. Apparently the 17-40 f4 is the lightest L lens at a little over 1lb, so I assume the limp is from having to compensate for the disappearance of the big chunk of cash that's suddenly left your wallet ;) .

Bruce

Edit - I've moved this thread to the Photography Discussion area - assuming it's worked :oops:

You are right Bruce :-D

Gone all loup sided now lol!

I thought I had put this in the right thread. Sorry, Just goes to show I was thinking of something else!!!

I will be doing some DOF pictures soon to show what happens when you alter the F and shutter speed.

Will post with some information and examples soon.

Hi Paul,

This is one I have in my armoury and can confirm it is a versatile quality lens.

I personally feel this is one of Canon's slightly unsung hero's.

You will find like me that in comparison to your 100-400L or my 70-200L F2.8 the 17-40L is a mere lightweight. It willmake a great Wedding lens.

Cannon's, Armoury, Shooting??????....sounds like something to do with Nelson rather than photography!!

Paul,

New lenses....mmmmm, I can see where this is leading...straight to the 5D MK11 :norty::norty::mrgreen:

Clive.

Hi Paul

A slight aside, but if you get a chance pick up todays EDP, there is a stunning full page picture with a king fisher and a pike both fishing at Strumpshaw. If it appears on their website I will post the link for the folks who don't have access to the paper.

I'm jealous but only because I cannot justify that kind of spend on photographic equipment. Paul, your needs are somewhat different from mine so I hope it serves you well. I can't think you can go wrong with a Canon L lens anyway!

I was thinking of adding one more lens to my "armoury" (sorry Clive!) despite previously deciding to run with a four lens kit. It won't be even on the same playing field as a Canon L lens though but I can live with that.

It was only 18 months ago that I actually looked to getting a selection of lenses, having previously existed solely on my Sigma 18-200mm hyperzoom. I decided that, for purposes of practicality and justifiable expenditure, I'd go for a four lens kit - the hyperzoom for travel, a macro prime for being arty and two shorter length zooms (one wide, one tele). The macro and tele zoom were quickly in the bag but the wide zoom was not. My preference was for the SAL 16-105mm but at around £400 was I bulking at the cost. There was also a SAL 24-105mm, also at around £400 which was just a re-badged Minolta 24-105mm and it just so happened that one of those came up on Ebay at the same time and I successfully picked it up for £150. Since then it has been my walkaround lens and all was well until about 3 weeks ago when I went on that mainline steam trip. I realised the 24mm wide end would be insufficient leaving me the choice of the Sigma hyperzoom or the kit lens, eventually going for the Sigma.

But it got me thinking - I really need a lens better suited for use in "tight" areas, like museums or walking around towns / cities etc. Previously I have dribbled over the CZ 16-80mm ZA VS but pennies are not sufficient (though admittedly this lens is more affordable than it was). So I find myself looking at two contenders, the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX or the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR both of which are relatively cheap (around £300) but get rave reviews.

But what to do....

I hadn't actually heard of that one but good quality glass is good quality glass whether 1st or 2nd hand and all but one of my current 4 lens kit came from Ebay so that's sounds like a good option to investigate.

That said, I don't think folks give Tamron and Sigma the credit they're due. Whilst it's true they don't do much for the full professionals where you're talking 4 figure sums for a lens, their prosumer lenses are frequently very much the equals of the equivalents in the camera manufacturer's ranges and often at lower prices. Away from the pro grade stuff they are very much a force to be reckoned with and both lenses I mention have fans amongst the users of various photography forums.

Now to find where Wensum St is!

Thanks Jonzo. I am actually started to allow myself to dribble over the lovely Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 VS. It used to be over £800 but now it's down to less than £500. Still needs to come down a bit to really get on my radar but in a sense it will render my Minolta 24-105mm a bit pointless (assuming it turns out to be superior, the 24-105mm is nearly £400 itself) so it might be worth trying to pluck up the courage to sell it on Ebay (I haven't sold anything before) which might offset some of the cost difference between the Zeiss and the Tamron. Does this shop allow people to mount lenses on their camera and shoot a few test shots do you know?

I wonder if Paul has had a chance to play with his new L lens? :lol:

simon i used it on driday for a wedding and took 200+ pictures. verERY PLEASE WITH IT.also used it on Gglitterwake so will post them on here when i gethome as at fleet dyke now on the boat

Have tried this new lens out this weekend.

The firstwas of the inside of my Freeman as I wanted to see what the angle was like.

With a flash.

The second was the Galley inside Glitterwake.

The last picture was taken directly into the sun and a flash was used.

post-170-136713435465_thumb.jpg

post-170-136713435473_thumb.jpg

post-170-136713435481_thumb.jpg

Very nice Paul. Good contrast and edge to edge sharpness, no obvious barrel or edge distortion, and very good resistance to flare.

Not sure about your taste in magazines and slippers though .... ;)

Bruce

Not sure about your taste in magazines and slippers though

They are the wifes - well I would say that wouldn't I lol !! :liar

Still trying to see what it will do and how it handles various lighting and vertical edges.

Pleased so far.

This was the major test on the day after I received the lens.

Wedding on the Friday PM.

post-170-13671343549_thumb.jpg

Ah, the classic "get the bride to crouch right down on the grass after explaining that she won't trash her dress" shot!

Very nice lens - again exhibiting all those good characteristics. F11 or thereabouts? What's it like wide open and more closed down?

Bruce

Lovely clarity in those shots with no distortion either... it looks as though youv'e found a new partner Paul...just don't let Daphne know!!

Otherwise it could be... two gunstwo gunstwo guns:lol:

Meeting one of my hero's this afternoon at Potter was a real pleasure!..it's only taken close on 3 years to meet the man with the Golden Eye for wildlife. :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

There's only one 'Lord Paul of Sealand' and I'm very happy to have met you today, I really enjoyed the chat we had. :clap:clap

Looking forward to our next meeting. cheers

Best regards,

Clive.

Was great to meet you and the family too Clive.

As for the "hero" bit, Well at this rate my head will not be able to get behind the camera.!! Lol !

Must be one of the few time I had not got a camera in my hand as was taking the in-laws out for the day.

Lets not leave it 3 more years before we see each other again !!

By the way I will be having some pictures at the Art exhibition in the Lion Inn @ Thurne in December but I will not be attending myself as will be in Dragon Hall in Norwich for the weekend.

More details closer the time.

Paul,

I just hope I'm fit enough to get down to the Thurne Lion in December.

Time seems to have flashed by since I was down there last December looking at your work and taking a few pictures of my own.

Anyone reading this should try to get to see Pauls work, in the 'flesh' ...his prints really are stunning to view and goodness knows what delights he'll have in store for us, once he gets to grips with this new 17- 40 'L' lens. :clap:clap:dance

Best Regards,

Clive.