Beware 0905 numbers

Hylander

I have just been reading about a lady who seached the internet for the DWP telephone number and up came 0905 815 0100.   It turns out that this number is part of a scam.    Dont ever use 0905 numbers.     The scam is this,   you dial the premium rate number and the call is then redirected to a genuine DWP number.    The caller is unaware that they are being scammed until the bill comes in.  0905 numbers can cost up to £1.53 per minute.

The DWP has worked with Ofcom the regulator to close fake lines but they keep appearing.

I personally will not dial mobile numbers or these strange 08 09 or any 0 numbers from a landline.     If I cannot get a proper landline number , I email or write a letter.

I have a recollection of reading a similar article as that of Highlander. It stated that she had used this number, and received a bill for £50!!

The DWP said they were aware of this scam, and were warning people that they never use this type of number.

We all have to be so aware these days.

Maurice