Smith Powles Marina

webntweb

Just been looking through my old Broads holiday records and came across a receipt for overnight mooring at Smith-Powles marina.

It was October 93 and we were on White Champagne from Alan Johnson Boats which was being operated by the Foley family following Alan Johnson's retirement.

Also have receipts for the same holiday for Oulton Broad yacht station £3.80 overnight - they put us on the staging (where the houseboat was recently moored) because White Champagne had davits at the time and couldn't moor stern on.

Compared with Oulton an overnight mooring fee for Horning Ferry Marina at £5 seems expensive, although it included use of the swimming pool.

The overnight at Smith-Powles was £2.80. The mooring was at the marina on the Wroxham side of the river where Powles operated from. I was wondering what the Smith bit was - anybody know.

Roy

Roy I think I may have the answer.

Back in the 80s early 90s George Smiths were building Sheerline cruisers. The Mowat Group placed an order ( I believe ) in excess of £ 10000.00 for boats. On the the strength of this Smiths leased the Jack Powles International building sheds, the ones that stood opposite where Barnes Brinkcraft stands today. The Mowat Group quite soon after went down the tubes and took George Smiths or at least Duncan with them.

So I am guessing that is where the Smith bit comes in. 

I think I have this right but if I am not right my apologies to anyone it might concern.