Low Life.....

BroadScot

This reminds me of my Dad and the great 'door mirror saga'.  He was in traffic and stopped when the car to his left (parked) opened their door without thought and hit the passenger door mirror of my dad's car.  The mirror was fine, but the illuminated indicator repeater built into the housing was cracked.

The guy apologised and actually lived a few doors away - he said something like 'you know where I live' get a quote and I will pay you.  My Dad duly did and popped round where upon the £350.00 (Mercedes prices) just for the lens cover made the guy rather unhappy, despite his wife and my dad saying if he took it through insurance an excess would be paid and work out more in the long run...

He took it the insurance route. 

This resulted in the follow : My dad's Mercedes was collected by someone from Mercedes Care, who drove there in a brand new S Class - hired through Avis.  This was rented at several hundred pounds a day.  My dad's car was then taken to Orpington - across London but - they then called to say the part had to come in from Germany and since was Friday it would not get there till Monday and might not be ready for collection until the following Tuesday.

My dad enjoyed the brand new car for 5 days and when everything was sorted the rental bill for the loan car was well over £1,500 not to mention all the fuss over a strip of plastic that would have cost a few pence to have made and lost the chap a heap of money and his no claims.  At the end of the day the whole industry is designed to make someone something.