Capri, Siesta, Duet, Silver Rhapsody.

Guest CalamityJ4ne

We have hired the Capri for a week in August. I have learnt through here that all the above named

are the same boat that have all had a makeover probably apart from the Capri (& very nice they all look too). The capri is about the only one

that I can't find any internal images for, but having had an Emperor last year & also being :liar a peer through all the windows

of what boats were left in the yard & a drool at the Caprice we know what to expect.

I know that for these type of boats that it requires 8'6" clearance at low water to go through Ludham Bridge.

I have found one image that shows Ludham Bridge max clearance is 8'6" at high water but nothing to say what the clearance is at low water.

Can anybody tell me approx what the window is either side of low water that we can get through. I know too that if there is a lot of wind or rain

prior to when we go that this will make a difference.

We will go up the river ant on Mon 8th low water is shown on the tide table as being 14.28. Coming back will be on Wed 10th.

Low water is at 17.08 but it also shows it as a neap which I think I read means there is the least difference between high & low.

It's the wed I want to know about more & whether we could go through before 5pm.

I have tried to find other boats of similar height or more ( Martin mentiond he went through ok with Spitfire 8'9") so

that if all else fails we can wait for one of those to come along & follow them through. But each boat I have looked at

only gives length & width.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to end up on youtube or worse still having to ring the boatyard

to tell them their boat was now an opentop. :o

For internals have a look at Richardsons website for Siesta as a near on perfect idea of what you're money has got you. They are nice little boats though it is a shame they are not just a touch lower, but most of the time the restriction wont be too massive.

I wouldn't worry too much about Ludham Bridge, though if you are really worried aim to be there at low water. Just check the water gauge just before the bridge and as long it's showing enough clearance for what it says on the plaque onboard you'll be fine

All the best

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Of course, if you`d hired a boat that was specifically desined for the Broads,, you would`nt have a problem. I think it`s rather strange that Clives team have such high top boats for the north rivers, but if they were to open up a yard on the southern side, these high topped boats would be much more effective. That`s only MY opinion though. Regards ............. Neil.

Hi there. I hired Capri from Le Boat on the Thames in May and I really liked the design of the boat. I think being built by Brooms they were well screwed together when they were built and the fittings are very nice. The Thames example we had suffered a bit from lack of attention to detail as there was a big tear in the helmsmans seat, an ill fitting cupboard and a cigarette burn on the sofa. No major issues with the boat though. Ask Le Boat what they charge for diesel - on the Thames it was £1.60 per litre which I thought was way too high.

I think you'll be fine at Ludham unless there's a sudden change in tidal conditions. Don't forget Siesta is Stalham based and presumably Richardsons would have made it Acle based if they thought 8 foot 6 was going to be an issue. In my experience the height gauge at Ludham is on the cautious side and there's more clearance than what it says. Keep in mind also the tide range on the Ant is only a few inches between high water and low.

Thanks for all the imput guys it all helps.

Of course, if you`d hired a boat that was specifically desined for the Broads,, you would`nt have a problem. .

Neil I thought we had a broads boat last year with the Emperor C45.

It's only about 4 weeks ago we decided we would come back to the broads & it's just the two of us this time, at first we were going to hire an apartment but decided we would be absolutely gutted watching the boats sail by & not being on board so decided a boat it would be.

First words out of my husbands mouth was, we're having a small boat so that I can take my turn at steering.

There wasn't a lot of choice left available for August.

The smallest boat was the Brinks Sonata 25' yes it looks lovely & cosy for a weekend but I think a week would result in me two guns my husband also my husband phoned Brinks & we weren't happy with the parking arrangement so that was out.

Then there was Swallowtail which being a 40' smaller version of the Emperor. A massive roomy boat for 2 but better left for the more experienced to handle & moor up.

So then we were left with the Capri or the Siesta (which looked almost identical) we didn't know at the time it started life as a Capri. We liked Richardsons boatyard last year when we stayed over for a night & their price for the siesta was much cheaper than leboat but we were'nt too sure if we would have access to the car 24hr a day should we need it.

There were a few other tub type boats but the 4 poster bed & armchairs were a bit twee for us. So in the end we booked the Capri knowing we have access to the car & as we spend our first & last night in the yard due to handover times can walk round to the Ferry Inn for dinner. I don't plan on doing much, if any cooking this year.

I did nearly cancel our booking after opening a thread on here called RC45.

It was the C45 that drew me the Emperor had C45 on it & there staring me in the face was the artist impression we had seen of the Broadsman on one of the boat search engines. I sat down at 10.30 with a cup of coffee & the next thing I knew my husband was phoning to collect him from the station it was 5pm I hadn't even made the bed. :o

It was one of the most facinating things I have read on any forum. My interpretation was they have taken an Emperor type boat & just brought it up to date. (A bit like they do with cars the same model just gets better) Improving everything that could be improved. Looks, more aerodynamic, bow & stern thrusters (easier for those with less experience under their belts) A broads boat to see us through the next 20/30 years.

Then I found there was a 2nd one it was available the week after we had booked. We were so tempted but I think knowing how long & how much it had cost to build I would be frightened leaving the mooring. Not because of us we take care of our own stuff & more care with someone elses it's just some of the others we were likely to meet especially in August. We had a hairy moment last year with some idiots on another boat & that was mid sept.

But maybe next year with a few more of us on board and another year under our belts & at a quieter time of year.

£1.60 a litre :o That's just taking the wee wee a bit :norty:

Thats London prices for you.

The Thames example we had suffered a bit from lack of attention to detail as there was a big tear in the helmsmans seat, an ill fitting cupboard and a cigarette burn on the sofa. No major issues with the boat though. Ask Le Boat what they charge for diesel - on the Thames it was £1.60 per litre which I thought was way too high..

There was a bit of that last year with the Emperor we even went out and bought a rubber tap connecter as the tap was leaking back onto the lamitate & it was starting to blow so we know what to expect.

Diesel wise we paid £120 deposit last year & had £82 returned when we handed her back so we were very impressed. It's still £120 deposit but we wont be expecting as much back with fuel being what it is at the moment.

I think you'll be fine at Ludham unless there's a sudden change in tidal conditions.In my experience the height gauge at Ludham is on the cautious side and there's more clearance than what it says. Keep in mind also the tide range on the Ant is only a few inches between high water and low.

Thanks, so I think it really will be about not getting there too early before low water. I think Wroxham is the same (cautious wise)

The bridge pilot told us 3pm last year before he could take us through, we then bumped into him at least an hour earlier & he said I'll take you through now. The boat said 7' the bridge gauge said 6'9" but he got us through ok. :shocked

Hi again Calamity4Jne. I'm intrigued to know why you need access to your car 24 hours a day whilst on your boat! I'm always really pleased to wave the car goodbye as soon as I'm away and boating.

Hopefully we won't.

We wouldn't normally go on holiday in August at the height of school hols but as this year is our 25th Ann

we wanted to do something special, so a nice quiet relaxing week on the broads was planned.( wishful thinking probably)

We want to book a nice restaurant & had initially intended "The kings Arms" at Coltishall but we would need the car to get there.

With suggestions from other members we have now decided on " The Mermaids Slipper" at Stalham. I think I may have to phone

& book a table rather than leave it to last minute & providing we can get through Ludham Bridge we can walk.

The other reason is I wanted to visit Yarmouth but would not take the boat there.

I have read too many stories & seen too many youtube vids to put me off. Maybe I'm seeing it to be worse than it is, but

I think maybe Yarmouth would be better at a quieter time of the year.

I wonder how many calls a year boatyards get from hirers who get stuck the wrong side of a bridge & can't return boats on time.