Swan Rapier

Guest Baby JJ

Hiring a boat in 4 weeks - getting the Rapier for a week - have i made the right decision :?

Wish i could find out how much it sticks out of the water!!

By the way this will be my first time on the broads and will have a 8 week year old with us - going to be fun :)

hi jj

quite possibly some one else will pass by with more info

jill cheers

Yes, isn't it annoying that most yards will quote length and beam but don't publish the air draft!

Swan Rapier is an Alphacraft Highliner 35 (their "mini-spitfire") and looking at Craig's database you can find a list of similar boats,

e.g. Barnes-Brinkcraft operate them as their Concerto class, and their site says "Will not pass under Wroxham, Potter Heigham or Beccles Bridges"...

I have had two of her larger sisters (Spitfire and Hurricane, which are Alphacraft Highliner 44's) out, and they have a published air-draft on the Alphacraft site of 8' 10", so Swan Rapier shouldn't be any more than that.

(unfortunately the only mini-spitfire that Alphacraft have is their "Barracuda" which is the owner's private cruiser so they don't give any details for her on their site)

Given that you won't be able to get beyond Wroxham, Potter or Beccles Old Bridge you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I took Spitfire through the Yarmouth bridges twice (at low-water slack), and also up through Ludham Bridge and back again without any problem (but I would avoid Ludham at high water), and they will be the only bridges that you will have to think about. (Dont even think about trying Wayford Bridge though! I wonder why the yards never mention that one?)

I also took Hurricane up the Waveney as far as Beccles Yacht Station without any problems.

I didn't get north of Brundall so I can't coment on the bridges further up the Yare.

I hope this helps you.

Martin

Hi JJ

You have made an excellent choice with Swancraft – I have been with them for years. Great yard, very helpful and the boats are in superb condition and very well maintained. Most are only a few years old.

Sorry, I’ve hired several of their boats but not Rapier! However I have been shown on board. It can’t be more than 3 or 4 years old. Beautifully fitted out with radiator heating if memory serves. You have a dual steering position from inside the boat or up on the ‘bridge’. The latter will give superb visibility which will be a big help if you are new to the Broads.

Like all Swancraft boats you get all the luxury features, powerful inverter for 240 volt power, bow thruster (also big help for 1st timers), electric toilet, whirlpool bath etc etc.

But its still a fairly compact boat, so I would say for a family, you have made a perfect choice. No problems with an 8 year old either, plenty to see and do although not having kids, others might be able to advise better!

This is a picture of Swancraft’s yard, with Rapier in the middle. Sorry I don’t have any internals but the boatyard website Jill gave you gives an accurate impression. It is a beautiful boat. Won’t pass through the low bridges though although I don’t think much is getting through Potter Heigham now anyway.

If I can help with any more info please ask!

Have a great time!

cheersbar

post-131-136713852855_thumb.jpg

Hi there

We usually hire rapier from Swancraft. She has an airdraft of 8'3" with everything up, and 7' 9" with screens down.

Hope this helps and have a great holiday.

Regards

Jon & Jo

Only three weeks and I will be on the broads for the first time, really looking forward to it. We are leaving from Brundall, does anyone have a good idea where to spend the first night? Also is there any where I can pick up some fishing bait?

Hi JJ

Afraid my knowledge of fishing is zero but I have seen the Brundall Angling Centre right next to Swancraft's yard on the road down Riverside Estate. I'm assuming its still open and would sell bait??

First night, you have choice of either going up towards Norwich, so Surlingham or Bramerton would be good and I think both are popular fishing places. Otherwise down river to Cantley (good pub) or even Reedham.

cheersbar