So good we stayed

Guest Gretzky

We have hired boats on the braods and loved it so much we when a bought our own, unfortunately it was in Lincoln, so for our summer hols this year we decided to take down the Witham, over the wash round the coast in on to the broads for a week or so before heading back.... Well that was the plan.

We set off Friday night down the river, and got to Boson Saturday afternoon, we were out of the lock at 7:30am then the fun began basically due to problem with an incorrectly refurbished prop we ending up limping round the coast at 7kts for 15hrs and picking our way through Breydon water in the dark via GPS chart plotter and the wife acting as look out we over nighted at the Berny arms. Next day it was up with the rising tide to Reedham for breakfast at Cupcakes while the Broads ranger tried to sort out our visitors license. Really nice guy, then up to Brundal to fill up fuel and back down the river and onto the norther rivers. We had to pick up our Son from Acle then later in the week we met up with some friends hiring a boat from Richardsons.

Basically we as always loved it so much and really didn't fancy another 15 hour crossing we found a mooring at Horning Village Marina and decided to keep the boat there! So now every spare weekend we can spend in what must IMHO the most beautiful part of the country.

Oh well back to the paper work for my broads license and registration, which by the way if you compare the service you get from the Broads Authority to what you get from British Waterways is worth every penny!

If there is a down side, the only thing I can think of is too many people speeding about past moored boats and knocking them all over (learned this the hard way from a bent bow rail :cry: while moored up under a tree one night)

Welcome to the Broads.

Glad to see that you survived the trip down the coast, but now you don't need to worry about not being able to get her up over 7 knots, the local speed limits don't go that high...

(Watch out though for the fact that Broads speed limits are "speed over the ground" not "speed through the water"..)

Night passage across Breydon, that must have been interesting, hope it was a clear night!

(I'm not allowed to go out at night, as I only hire other people's boats)

May see you around some time...

Martin

(p.s. Have you got your NBN flag yet? see viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1627 )

Welcome to the Broads.

you don't need to worry about not being able to get her up over 7 knots, the local speed limits don't go that high...

(Watch out though for the fact that Broads speed limits are "speed over the ground" not "speed through the water"..)

I know but compared to the speed limits on the canals (3 or 4 Mph) some bits of the broads are fast!

Think I saw you at Ludham Bridge on the first day of our 2 week break, :wave would have been Saturday 18th July :wave we were on our way to meet friends prior to crossing Breydon so just blipped by.

Loops

Quite possible, we met some friends who had hired a boat from Richardson's on Friday the 17th so we would have been back on our way back down then.

• 2 months later...

Came down for the week at half term, took the boat out over Breyden water to see how she goes now we had the prop sorted, I guess I could have tried on the river when no one was looking but personally I don't really think thats on. Anyway 26MPH wide open on the GPS and still climbing! cruised great at about 20MPH at 3800 rpm crossed Breyden in 10 mins! Thing is now she is seaworthy again and performing as she should we still have no desire to take her back, even though its a 3 hour trip down by road. The broads are just about the best place to be.

I am sure you'll be able to get some salt underneath you anyway, come the summer. Especially as Jonathan is trying to get a forumite cruise to Scroby sorted out for May. I am sure you'd like a play with the other whippets like Jupes and Lucky! :lol: