Anybody Have An Os Map Covering Breydon?

kfurbank

Anybody have an OS map covering Breydon, more specifically the bank between Burgh Castle and Yarmouth? The reason I ask is that some time ago I purchased a book of pub walks in Norfolk and one of the walks detailed was from Church Farm which used to be a pub, but is now closed. The walk took you down to the edge of Breydon Water, along towards Yarmouth until a point where you reach a brick pump house and at that point headed back inland along a gravel road to another road where you turned right and headed back towards Church Farm.

I realise that the edge of Breydon Water is actually part of the Angles Way and therefore a public right of way exists. Having completed the circular walk some years ago, roughly 10, I completed it again on Monday, however at the point that you turn inland at the brick pump house there is now a big sign on the gate saying private road, no public access. With my boat moored at Burgh Castle, and having slithered my way along the first part of the edge of Breydon Water from The Fishermans Inn, I took the chance and took the gravel road back to the village and then the road back to The Fishermans Inn.

I would be interested if the gravel road is marked on any OS map of the area as a public footpath? I'm sure this walk has appeared in another book as well, but cannot find the book at the moment.

That's a shame because it is a good walk and listed in at least one book. The sign looks fairly recent, so not sure what's happened to prompt it's appearance. There must be at least some permissive access for whichever authority maintains the pumping station.

I do a similar walk along Fleet Dyke, turn right along the Bure to the pumping station then turn right onto the track back to Tiled Cottage and back to Fleet lane and the Boat Yard. But the track from the pump to Tiled Cottage is not a public footpath. I have pass the land owner tending his herd and he does not seem to bother.

Chris,

I think that may be the pumping station that I have moored near as there is some metal piling and quay heading. From there it is quite a walk, but you can get to Upton and The White Horse. Quite nice on a Summer's evening, and preferable to going all the way down Upton dyke, only to find it full. :-)

Again the walk from the pumping station is over gravel path, or track, but I didn't see any public footpath signs. A couple of vehicles passed me on the track and the occupants just nodded.

I have since picked up a leaflet of a very similar walk from the pub, see attached. The path I used before knowing about this walk is the track roughly in the middle of the marked paths.

Upton Walk 5.pdf