Boat Lift Out

Now, I don't know if I am treading on anyone's toes by posting this up, so if I am please feel free to delete it.

I have just been speaking to a very (very) good friend of mine that owns Derby Quay in Beccles, formerly Aston Boats.

He has said that anyone who needs their boat lifted out for work to be done on it then he can charge the following prices:-

£65 boat lift out AND lift back in when required.

£3 per foot per month hardstanding.

Taking a quick look round I think these prices are quite impressive and will be useful for forum members.

I am pretty sure that the price for 'over winter' hardstanding is different - we only talked about lifting for work to be done, but if anyone is interested then please give him a call. We only talked about the above due to Mark putting his post up about lifting his boat possibly to fix a couple of problems.

Anyway, if you want to talk to him, his name is James and he is available on 07884 478141 - PLEASE mention my name when you talk to him to make sure you are 'well' looked after !!

Hope this can help someone....

Luke

PS He can currently lift out up to 32ft boats.

Luke hi!

Are we talking about the aston boatyard opposite the beccles yatch station??? We moored there last year overnbight and were under the understanding that it was now sold off and was going to be turned into waterside flats! Nice that though that might be...I think there is tremendous potential for developing it as a marina, whereas before it was just a haven for the hire boats (hoseasons I think).

Cant imagine you are treading on anyones toes , and, if the facility is going to re open as a yard/marina I am sure it will attract a lot of interest...not least from us, who were once considering a permanent mooring there! Have you any news on that?

kind regards

adam... :pirate :pirate :pirate

Hi Lucky,

Sounds like a bargain but do you know what lifting facilitys he has?

I only say this as our last boat was a 26' sports cruiser and we moved it from Poole where we bought it to the Midlands to do some work on it before taking it on to the Broads.

Being the midlands it went into a Canal boat yard which did not have its own lifting facilitys but used the services of a bought in boat lifter with his own crane.

The lift off the lorry and onto hard standing was no problem, it stayed on the hard for 3 months while lots of work was done including stripping back the antifoul to gel, epoxy primer and antifould, a full compound and then about 7 coats of polish, there was not a mm of that hull we didn't know intimately.

When Mr crane man came back to lift it onto the lorry to go to the Broads he slung it in the same way but once it had been lifted and before it had got to the lorry a band of stress cracks appeared about 6" wide and 5' long.

The outcome was, my insurance wouldn't pay as there had been no striking or accident, the cranes insurance wouldn't pay as the method of lifting was acceptable (slings to long chains), and the boatyard shruged their shoulders and said nothing to do with us. It ended up costing over £1000 to get it all put right at Goodchilds.

The very least I would ask for now would be a suitable boat lifting spreader cradle for the crane and preference is always a proper boat hoist.

That said if the cradle is the right thing then I will be very tempted to give him a call for Clanny's lift in a few weeks.

Ian

Yep, exactly Adam - right opposite the yacht station !! It has the little cottage on the grounds right by the river, with a huge lock up behind it and offices to the left if looking from the water side. There is also a fully time mechanic/fixer there - Stephen - lovely chap, very helpful and knows his stuff ! Diesel on site too !

James bought the place last year, and there are no plans to turn it into flats, although I can fully understand where the rumors came from especially due to the family that bought it !! lol !! - but no, there are no plans whatsoever to change it from what it currently is - in fact, James is spending quite a few quid to improve the place.

I'm not sure if James has any permanent moorings currently available there - if anyone is looking, best give him a call to find out.... I for one would certainly moor mine there if the need arose !

Just out of interest, I take it that £65 to lift a boat out and put it back in is very good value - I'd appreciate anyones comments on this, and also the £3 per ft per month hard standing..... Always good to give a friend feedback !!

Hi Lucky,

Sounds like a bargain but do you know what lifting facilitys he has?

I only say this as our last boat was a 26' sports cruiser and we moved it from Poole where we bought it to the Midlands to do some work on it before taking it on to the Broads.

Being the midlands it went into a Canal boat yard which did not have its own lifting facilitys but used the services of a bought in boat lifter with his own crane.

The lift off the lorry and onto hard standing was no problem, it stayed on the hard for 3 months while lots of work was done including stripping back the antifoul to gel, epoxy primer and antifould, a full compound and then about 7 coats of polish, there was not a mm of that hull we didn't know intimately.

When Mr crane man came back to lift it onto the lorry to go to the Broads he slung it in the same way but once it had been lifted and before it had got to the lorry a band of stress cracks appeared about 6" wide and 5' long.

The outcome was, my insurance wouldn't pay as there had been no striking or accident, the cranes insurance wouldn't pay as the method of lifting was acceptable (slings to long chains), and the boatyard shruged their shoulders and said nothing to do with us. It ended up costing over £1000 to get it all put right at Goodchilds.

The very least I would ask for now would be a suitable boat lifting spreader cradle for the crane and preference is always a proper boat hoist.

That said if the cradle is the right thing then I will be very tempted to give him a call for Clanny's lift in a few weeks.

Ian

Hi Ian

I'm not sure on all the in's and out's of boat lifting - I've only ever had one took out before...

Best to give him a call directly and he can answer all questions first hand rather than me guessing !!

Luke.

from the advert in Anglia afloat Hippersons at Beccles are a very similar price it just goes to show what agood resource the forum can be if you are looking for value for money cheersbar

Hi Luke

The £65 for the lifts, is that for both lifts, or £65 each way. If it's the former it does seem very good value. As for the hard standing, I'm not sure how that equates, but almost £100 per month for my boat seems a little high. Then again, I could be comparing this to C.Rickos storage price of £12.50 per BOAT per week. It might certainly be worth me giving him a call, as Beccles is easier to get to than Goodchilds for me.

Hi All

I've just had a chat with James, who seems a very helpful fellow.

James: "I can't picture your boat, is it similar to Luke's?" ; Me: "No, it's identical!" :lol:

He has a hydraulic lift that is okay up to about 28' and 4.5 tonnes, but not much over that. He also has 2x 40' dollies, that get run down the slip, boat goes on, and then pulled back up. He has had an Ocean 37 (about 16 tonnes) out this way, and he says it worked well.

As his workshop is busy at the moment, both his dollies are occupied, but one should come free in a week or so. I'm going to pop down to have a chat with him and see his operation, but I reckon he'll probably be the chap for the job. In and out the water and one months covered storage in the workshop can't be bad for £160, and he is quite happy for me to work on the boat myself.

Quote back from Goodchilds is £330 for lifts, steam clean and 2 weeks storage. It's double the cost, but then I suppose their method of lifting is probably a bit more secure? What are the views of you chaps on the dolly method? Ian's talk of stress crazing has me worried!

Quote back from Goodchilds is £330 for lifts, steam clean and 2 weeks storage. It's double the cost, but then I suppose their method of lifting is probably a bit more secure? What are the views of you chaps on the dolly method? Ian's talk of stress crazing has me worried!

Mine comes out on a dolly at Hipperson's Mark and at 6 tons and 34ft long it's a doddle cheersbar