damp bunk syndrome

the only way ive found to stop boat bunk damp mattress syndrome

i raised the mattress foam up on slates (futon style) to give air circulation and drilled air holes through the sides of the

bunk through to the air gap.

if the air gap is deep enough, it also can create a storage place for large flat stuff like sea charts.

1st picky ... as it was

last picky is end on

A - air holes drilled at regular intervals ( ive done 5 @ 1" diameter)

B - mattress

C - air gap

D - slates ( not fixed in place, for easy access)

E - 2x2 to support slates ( not fixed in place)

jill

post-115-136713656441_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713656693_thumb.jpg

post-115-136713656696_thumb.jpg

I may have to look into this. Went over a few weeks ago and the mattress bed under the cockpit is drenched :( i did find a window slightly open and thought it was that but went over yesterday and its still drenched :( Lifting it up looks a good idea. Will try that i think.

Andy.

I think the main reason for using slats and air underneath boat and caravan mattresses is to avoid condensation when they are being used, (with a warm person (!) laying on them. :)

Talked myself into a corner here ! :)

Was the mattress covered with anything ?

Is there any moisture on the inside of the roof (or signs of it) ?

Under certain weather conditions in the winter, water literally drips from the headlining, despite ventilation.

the sort of foam thats used in upholstery really holds the damp.

being a live aboard ive had probs with keeping matresses dry but since ive used this method, its been brill.

before that i tryed drilling holes in the base like a swiss cheese but that just dident do it.

this method gets the air in where its needed 24/7.

i did it extra deep on the sea going boat i used to live in and used the extra space to store sea going charts and

extra large paper and they stayed dry

tried and tested over 15 years so far.

hi stowager

the compass system looks ok but i prefer mine as it only cost me a raid on the fire wood pile :naughty:

jill

Airmat, heated blanket, dehumidifier, sorted. :naughty:

One really good and economical way to help in damp areas like cupboards and lockers, including under bunk areas is to use old (or new as they are cheap at Maplin et al) computer cooling fans to circulate the air, 4" soffit grilles cover the hole neatly and they use bugger all power. You can use then at home too as 12v transformers are easily sourced and they can transform a fitted wardrobe or cupboard on an outside wall that gets a bit cold and damp.

Airmat, heated blanket, dehumidifier, sorted. :naughty:

One really good and economical way to help in damp areas like cupboards and lockers, including under bunk areas is to use old (or new as they are cheap at Maplin et al) computer cooling fans to circulate the air, 4" soffit grilles cover the hole neatly and they use bugger all power. You can use then at home too as 12v transformers are easily sourced and they can transform a fitted wardrobe or cupboard on an outside wall that gets a bit cold and damp.

Could this really spell the end for festering Y fronts? :o