Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke Help

I started my engine last week,checked tell tale water coming out fine,then it started to dribble out then stop altogether,any advice on this please,the engine had a full service in December and a new impeller fitted,so I would not think it was impeller problems,the engine as only done about 2 hours since December.

Anyone else had similar problems and how it was rectified

Thanks

The lack of a tell tale does not necessarily mean you have no cooling water circulating and in fresh water the tiny passage can even get blocked by freezing. Check it is clear as weed can also block it as can salt cystals, but that's probably not an issue in your case.It really doesn’t take much, this is yet another use for the ubiquitous Pela oil changing vacuum if you have access to one. I have even known them to get an airlock which cleared after a bit of a rev. :grin:

If it was "coming out fine, then slowed to a dribble, then stopped" It's a good chance it's what Antaries has said.

Sounds like a strong possibilty that a piece of scale has come lose in the jacket, and then dropped neatly over the tiny tell-tail.

A quick poke with a bradawl or a nail when it's running, and it may well spurt into life again.

When an impeller goes, it usually just wears down gradually, with a slowly reducing flow rate, even if a rubber web breaks off , the flow wouldn't stop completely after running ok while you were watching it.

If poking the tell-tale hole doesn't work, then I'd try back flushing with a hose next.

Strowager is correct except in one important point, if a vane or particularly vane tip (the more likely) breaks off the impeller pump it can and sometimes does block or at least seriously restrict the pick up tube, I've seen it happen. The pick up tube on these small outboards is only about 12mm in diameter, often less and runs the whole way from just above the gearbox to the bottom of the power head often with a "dogleg" so even a vane tip can cause issues. All that said it is unlikely it is the cause as whoever gave it a service will (should) have replaced it or at least inspected and lubed it.

Some of the more modern motors have a tapping in the jacket where you can fit a pressure or temp along sender with a gauge at the helm, these are a much better indicator of the state of the cooling than a tell tale because as I have said you can have cooling without a tell tale stream but also the converse i.e. a tell tale stream and no or reduced cooling.

Got some garden wire ready(stripped green plastic off),bradawl and other pointy things,all ready to try out tomorrow,how about a bit of pastic tubing and try to blow it manually,haven't got a pump as such,only a 12 volt pup in the car for blowing up tryes etc.

Good point Antaries, and about the temp gauge.

Even if there isn't a suitable tapping, Faria do an outboard temp gauge with a small sensor "washer" that fixes under one of the head bolts.

Cheap and simple to fit, I had one a a Suzuki 4 stroke, and big Johnson two stroke, and a Honda 4 stroke. All of them worked well, and gave peace of mind. :)

If you do need to back flush, it's only effective with water under pressure.

Most chandlers sell cheap hose adapters (about £5) that look a bit like headphones. They clamp on the bottom of the leg over the main outlet hole, and have a hose adapter for a standard 1/2" hose. The trick at the moment would finding a standpipe that's not disconnected for the Winter.

Ear muffs are for fresh water flushing Kingo, they are what we use (if we can be arsed :naughty: ) after running an outboard in salt water otherwise they can corrode internaly and get saltcrystals blocking passages. So, they are no different from running it in the river really, assuming that you are in a fresh water area.

It's not surprising Jim, when used just for a tender they get no use at all, ours hasn't had more than 30 or 40 hours in 10 years, must change the leg oil and have a look at the spark plug some time. :naughty:

That's the annoying thing David! Mine had to have it's first service, to retain it's 5 year warranty at 20hrs or 3 months. I think it had run for about an hour!! Gutted :o

Went down to boat this morning had a poke around in the tell tale hole,still no water coming out,engine runs fine,left it ticking over for about 20 minutes,leg getting warm,is that normal? Water trickling out from leg just above water level,exhaust at back clear,when put finger over exhaust,bubbling from below cav plate.

Dare not take it for a spin in case it overheats and ceases up.

I have come to the conclusion,that I am totally useless with engines,thats what you get from working for Royal Mail for 40 years,I guess I will have to enlist the help of a boatyard,that will cost me a packet,or do anyone know anyone who is pretty good with out boards who could take a look for me.I will pay for their time obviously.

Or should I buy a set of oars,(can't row very good either)

:cry