Almost A Disaster

RumPunch

Decided that as I was at a loose end I'd motor the boat down to How Hill from Barton, have a cuppa and a chill, and motor back. Trusty Honda starts first pull, and off I go, wondering as I get onto the broad what the new island is in the middle. Turns out the Punt Club piles have attracted a raft of reeds / rubbish. Anyhow, make good progress, past Irstead, left then up to the next big right. Decide to throttle back.... and the engine is no longer trusty. It gives up. There I am, mudweighted up, right on the bend ( bilge keeled so dare not risk trying to get close to the bank ) It absolutely refuses to restart. In desperation I put the genoa up, but there's so little wind it's taking 15mins for about 50 yds ! 

I rang the Broads Desk for advice, and they were helpful with suggesting recovery firms & sympathetic, but I was resigned to limping to How Hill and mooring up,  probably in the dark by the time I'd get there. I kept trying the engine on and off, and then, after about an hour it started. What a relief ! 

Kept it running at a reasonable pace and went straight back to my mooring - I didn't dare touch the throttle. Sure enough, as soon as I reached the boatyard and  went to reduce speed it died again, but I'd timed it just right and coasted into my berth.

Guess I'll be stripping the carb down !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1