Engines - arrghhh!

Hi Wayne the water pipe (if is raw water) heading to the Turbo will be to cool the air in the inter-cooler (to make it more dense) The turbo is cooled by the air passing through it which makes this air hot. So should be no damage to the turbo. This will cause overheat though as Gear box oil cooler, inter-cooler, heat exchanger and oil cooler are all connected in series.

Jonathan :Stinky

Hi Jonathan

It's a little pipe - about 6mm in dia and it goes from the thermostat hsg to the turbo.On top of all the other problems I have to take the heat exchanger apart.There is a drain plug on the bottom and when I undid it nothing came out. There was a plug of crud - so I poked it with a screwwdiver and rather than disintegrating and alling out the whole solid plug went inside :mad:

regards

Wayne

The feed to the turbo is normally high pressure oil not water. I have only had one Volvo engine which was too new to play with so they may well do things differently.Was the feed raw or fresh water.

Jonathan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

A word of advice, NEVER EVER POKE BLOCKAGES, always use a drill twisting between your fingers. That way, you gently drill out any crud. I hope this is of help in the future. Regards ...............Neil.

You sure that was a drain plug Wayne? It may have been the pencil anode carrier and the crud could have included disintegrated zinc. It is surprising how these are not checked every year despite being “on the list†and the Volvo agent who serviced ours certainly never did during the two under warranty services I had, well not unless he carefully repainted the bolt head and washer he didn’t. When I did the first service myself the anodes were completely disintegrated and I had to evacuate the associated crud with a large bore tube and the Peller pump.

Well I got the crud out - vigorus shaking seems to work.

Eventually got the pump off now just got to get the cut off bolts out of the block :(

Thanking the second bolt out of the crankshaft pulley I then rung the head off - I was taking it off to clean it but decided to do the other bolt back up again rather than open another can of worms - there's still five good ones and it's only running the alternator and water pump.

There is also a little pipe about 5mm dia that runs from the top of the turbo back to the top of the thermostat housing - aparently that is because the turbo is higher than the tank. This part is now not stocked to I guess I will have to find some fittings and use rubber hose. That will be helpful anyway as the pipe runs under the intake manifold and I would have to take that off as well to fit a rigid pipe - the old one came through o.k - will a little extra help :naughty:

The water pump was totally shot and looks like it had been leaking for a long long time.

regards

Wayne

post-710-136713689331_thumb.jpg

Hopefully now got a full A4 list of parts coming via Prior Diesel :grin: - they have been very helpful sourcing the items. Had to have a lie down when I was told how much though :cry Beans on toast for a month for us :(

Even the little pipe - two banjos braised to some 5mm pipe - over 100 quid :o:o

But all original Volvo and seeing as the rest of the boat is very original thought that was the best way to go. Now just need t0 get Witch Hazel on the bruises from putting my large frame into spaces too small for it

regards

Wayne

Well.. some progress today.

All the broken studs are now out and even the one in the crankshaft pulley is now drilled out and re-tapped - many thanks to Robert for the loan of the angle drill.

The old pump impeller had been rubbing against the block for some time so I think there will be quite a lot of cast iron dust around the cooling system. I guess all I can do is to hose through the best I can then fill with just water, run for a few hours then drain off again and replace with coolant

Tomorrow ... hopefully.. touch wood..it's put all the new parts on time

rgds

Wayne