calorifier connections

Guest Cattleya

I have just had my engine out for a rebuild. It's running great, but I now have no hot water from the calorifier. Does anyone have a photo of the pipes coming off a BMC engine? I'm not sure if it has been connected properly.

I have one pipe coming from the back of the engine, near the thermostat. The other pipe is coming from the front of the engine, from near the flywheel. Both pipes are warm, but not boiling hot. The water out of the calorifier is totally cold.

Hi there,

Make sure that the hot feed from the engine (normally the top hose) is fed into the lowest inlet on the calorifier coil. That way, if any air gets trapped, the engine pump will force it out (or so I'm told and it worked in our case)

Also, make sure the coil in the calorifier is clear of blockages and there is plenty of coolant in the engine :wave

Oh dear,

The hot pipe from the top hose should go to the top of the califior,it,s the old saying you can,t push cold water uphill,if the inlet and out let are at the same level ,then ignore this it won,t matter.

don,t take a pipe off a hot engine!!!.

Probably as beieng said just airlocked

cheers trev

Just to make it clear, I'm sure Trev means the top pipe of the heater coil IN the Calorifier, as the top pipe on the Calorifier it's self should be where the domestic hot water pipe is connected.

And yes, only disconnect the pipe from the engine when it is relatively cold! This might actually clear your airlock whilst doing this.....Fingers crossed!

At about £50 a pop they have to be a good idea, you could cook a lobster with ours after an engine run (OK on immersion) I think I might put it on the list. Another advantage is that you will probably draw less hot water from the tank and make it last a bit longer and ours is only about 25l or so.

At about £50 a pop they have to be a good idea, you could cook a lobster with ours after an engine run (OK on immersion) I think I might put it on the list. Another advantage is that you will probably draw less hot water from the tank and make it last a bit longer and ours is only about 25l or so.

yep, great idea. And there's even cheaper ones than this at all good plumbers merchants http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96288/Plu ... 2-15mm-TMV