Eberspacher exhaust

Hi,

Has anyone out there fitted an Eberspacher hull fitting to a wooden hull?

I am concerned the angled stainless fitting still will get very hot and burn the wood.

The other thing is on Ebay ( 150179147067I ) noticed there was an exhaust silencer for sale, but there was the normal one and a larger version that I have not seen else where. Is there an advantage with the larger version (noise reduction) on a D2 Eberspachier, or is it for larger systems.

Thanks

Ian

Hi Jonny,

I was thinking along those lines. Metal pipe will carry the exhaust heat down to the fitting on the wood hull. If it is covered in a insulation cover the heat it would have lost will be carried to the hull fitting increasing the problem. I have looked at aramid fiber reinforced silicon hoses that are designed for taking exhaust gasses but I am not convinced this will work but a short section might help the problem. How the BSS would deal with this is another matter...

Ian

Ian! it may sound obvious, by why not have a word with one of the BSS inspectors, if anyone knows they will, I know they used to do an Aspestos sleeve for those sort of instalations but whether they are still legal of even made is another matter,,,

Ian! just found this,,,,, The products of the combustion are forced from the heater to a hull fitting. This is a straight through skin fitting for a steel narrow boat, or an air cooled fitting if it is passing through a GRP or wooden hull.

The hull fitting is connected to the heater by a flexible twin wall stainless tubing, which is insulated for sound and heat and then over sleeved for safety.

It's on this site which may be of some help,,, http://www.eberspacher.com/marine6.php?section=marine

If you also click on the support button it has all the instalation guides as well,,

Mowjo,

Thanks for the link, that is the fitting I was going to use or make one from bronze same design but longer (better cooling?). What I did not notice was that the fitting was also for wooden hulls.

As Tamara's hull is 70 years old I do not want to do anything that will cause damage, so I am taking my time to check out all the angles. When I have decided I am going to do a mock up of the Hull section in the shed and try the heater flat out for a few hours to see what happens.

Thanks for the info

Ian

Ian! I havn't a clue about heating,, on our boat we just suck a Polo each to keep warm, but I would have thought that if that fitting was safe on GRP boats you wouldn't have any problem on a wooden one, after all yours won't melt will it,,, cheersbar

Hi Ian, we fitted a Mikuni to Claypits a few years age and used the fitting they supplied, the hole through the hull is about 2 inch diameter with the exhaust through the center about 1 inch diameter, we have had no trouble with this and no blistering of the paint round the fitting. The exhaust pipe is around 6ft long and is lagged its full length. it is also verry quiet from outside.

Robin

Ian why not ask a trusted and responsible yard that has done this before maybe john at whispering reeds he may know or try hunters with there craft being old they might know aswell

Robin & Jonny,

Tamara will be going to Colin Buttifants yard next weekend for her winter lay up. I will have a talk with Colin or his son Paul about the instalation. Paul Buttifant tends to lookafter Tamara now and her varnish work and the hull finish is down to him. The quality of the work is superb.

Jonny, Hunters yard pride themselves on yachts with no modern systems (with the exception of gas cookers I believe). The thought of a Eberspacher on a boat would have me shot two guns:Sailing

Ian