End Of A Lovely Day

ChrisB

Been  glorious day up here today, not a cloud in the sky. But now as so often happens at this time of year a right North Sea Fret is rolling in from Brancaster right round to Walcott. I hope it does not catch out folk returning to base after the long weekend. Blakeney a few minutes ago.live.jpg.d1bb2f8ed461861e9deddebd4ec22f54.jpg

• Like 3

What is the difference between a fret and a haar? Or is it one and the same. What causes it? Warm air full of moisture meeting cold?

I have experienced it many times on our coasts and of course the dramatic fall in temperature. Many times I have seen the bank of mist or fog on the horizon and then after perhaps three or four hours of hot sunshine it sweeps to the shore in a matter of minutes. Indeed reaching inland for several miles.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

I think Haar is used more in the Borders and Scotland but they are essentially the same thing. Fret is the common name in Northumberland, Yorkshire and further south.

These cold Summer sea fogs that plague the East Coast of the UK are very less common elsewhere due to the influence of the Gulf Stream and warmer water. They are caused by warm air passing over a cold North Sea and happen typically from April to September but are much more likely in April, May and early June as hopefully the sea has warmed enough to prevent their formation in high Summer.

The NE corner of Norfolk is a bit of a B$g*er when one hits with it's profusion of creels just off shore. If it is calm it is often best to get well in and lay your anchor. That is what I have always tried to do when caught out. I hate fog, I would rather deal with a blow than zero vis.

• Thanks 1