Jump to content

Engine Modifications


Recommended Posts

When I bought my boat in Brighton it was a shell with new windows and rubbers on the floor inside. It came with a trailer and an engine, not attached to the boat.

The engine was/is an Evinrude 35 HP two stroke from 1978  and had a tiller fitted. Most of the early work was on the boat and the trailer.

But a couple of years later I got fed up with the pull starter. I yearned for electric start!   I kept looking on e-blag for an Evinrude starter motor.

I knew it could be done because below the pull starter was a starter gear ring. Evenentualy I found one but off a 60HP Evinrude. I took the chance.

So with bits of metal and MiG welder I made some brackets and it worked!!!    It may look a bit rough but it was difficult to hold everything in the right place and weld it at the same time.

But I still had a problem. The 'generator' on the engine only put out enough power for a 10 watt light bulb. Tape measure out again and looking up specs on alternators to find

something that would fit at the back above the carburetter.  It came down to a Russian alternator for a 1972 Lada Niva. Next obtain a pulley from e-blag, remove the pull start

 and align and drill and tap the flywheel to fit the pulley.   Again make brackets to mount the alternator and fit a belt.  Oh dear! The cover won't fit!

So, cut a big hole in the cover and re-model with glass fibre. I'd not done this before but I think it turned out OK.   White paint and stickers from E-blag and I think it looks OK!

Key start from the helm and a 55 amp alternator.  Luxury!!!              Below are the pictures in order. (I hope)!


The original engine.



The starter fitted.



Alternator fitted. (Temporary belt).



Finnished job!  Works for me!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That moulding don't look half bad Clive, a sort of pregnant evinrude....

Was that the motor you extended the leg on? (or was it a shortening job, memory's going with age).

I'm surprised that alternator gets enough cooling airflow under there, how long has it been like that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No the outboard I shortened was a 4 HP  Nylanbolan(?) made in Holland Dave. I sold it to someone in St Neots!

It got replaced with an electric outboard.

I think it was 2017 when I did the Evinrude. Seems to be OK.

I just wraped the alternator end with some foam and covered it in some plastic film the laid up some glass fibre.

I then laid up some more inside and then filler on the outside. Rubbed it down and sprayed it from a rattle can.

Two batteries on a split charge system, one purely for engine starting. The other supplies the XP computer, (charts, music etc), lighting, stereo, GPS, fish finder/sounder, AIS, all the other services and 1200Watt inverter.

Sort of added to it over the years!



  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Sponsors

    Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.