Powles 42

Aboattime

I'm afraid not.  It looks very much to me like Barry.  I have had a full beard for longer than I can remember.  At one time all of Blakes' boats were piloted through THAT bridge mostly by Barry and Dennis who worked at Herbert Woods boatyard.  Both were piloting long before I started.  Blakes boat hirers moored in the boatyard and signed up on a chalkboard to be piloted through the bridge. 

When I started piloting, if you had a Hoseasons boat you went to the little shed behind the current Pilot's Office to collect David or Bob.  Blakes' hirers went to the pilot/dayboat office. 

Patrick and Robin Richardson (Phoenix Fleet Limited) were awarded sole pilotage of all Hoseasons and Blakes hire boats when Blakes and Hoseasons jointly formed a new limited company for the purpose.  I was employed by Phoenix Fleet Ltd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

webntweb great detective work! Yes it is that boat,our present boat has an air draft of 6ft 4 in,i wanted to know if it was ok for Wroxham bridge,sounds as if it is.With 2 grand kids we now need a bigger boat, she certainly has the space,just have to see how things pan out.Thanks for the info.    Regards Kevin

Hi Roy, thanks for your PM,yes i did know about the bridge gauge,Our Alpha 32 never has a problem getting under, its was one of the reasons we bought her,as the run up to Cottishal is one of our favourites.I could never see the point of a boat that restricts where  you can cruise,and i must admit that some of the new gin palaces leave me cold, far to big,wont go under this or that bridge,and some dont even look like boats to me.! Maybe its an age thing,but each to there own.    Regards Kevin

• Like 1