Norman Hunter.

Thanks for the mention here Ian. As a Leeds United fan, it is of course a great loss to us, as would Peter Bonetti's have been to Chelsea fans. They were different times back then with lots of hard men around as you say.  It says much about the situation we are all in that we can talk positively about "opposition" players instead of them being slated on social media. He was (as was Peter) someones husband, brother uncle, grandad etc. The thought of losing a member of our family in these horrible circumstances  is somewhere all of us fear to tread. 

I was on the terraces watching Norman and that great Leeds side and yelled myself hoarse in the process. I met Norman a few times and, as so often is the case, you could not wish to met a nicer or more friendly man. I also saw him score some wonderfully dramatic goals, mostly with a dynamite shot from distance.  I also recall his somewhat fraught encounter with Francis Lee which resulted in the early bath for them both. RIP Norman, you will be missed on saturday afternoons on local radio!

Indeed times were different. I've  done a few tours  of the bridge.Ron Harris has some great tales.One he recounted was at a football dinner and Norman Hunter was giving a speech. He called Ron to come up to the stage."Ron what do you want Norman".You can have this back Ron.You gave it to me years ago.It was one of Ron's studs.Think now days there would be more on the bench then the pitch.

• Haha 1