Sinking Boats

Oddfellow

Indeed, no point in putting a clip on if there’s nothing to bite the hose to, as Teademon says it only serves to pull the hose off. Also don’t think they should be over tight, do you specify specific torques for your Lloyds approved clips Ian?

I always use barbed or ridge hose tails anyway, so the watertight seal is formed by the ridge or barb, and the clip(s) are primarily there to prevent the hose pulling off.

Hence the clips not needing to be overly tight anyway, and always needing to be inside the ridge or outermost barb.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of information on hose clips.

There are a number of hose clips out there in the market.

Clips made to no standard what so ever, but very cheap.

Clips made to DIN 3017 very popular but to a low strength requirement, no sealing requirement and not independently tested.

Clips made to BS5315 and Kitemarked. These clips are to the highest strength standard, have a sealing pressure requirement and are independently tested by BSI. Lloyds approve the stainless grade BS5315/Kitemark standard clips for general use on small vessels.

Tightening torque changes with the size of the BS5315 clip.

12-20 3Nm

22-45 5Nm

50+ 6Nm

There is a heavy type of clip for use on wire reinforced exhaust hose approved by Lloyds the JCS Hi-Torque HTM range this is tightened to 15Nm.

You can wake up now :yawn:

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

In the word of chalets watering down, opening all taps drain off's, siphoning shower and any un-vented systems is all part of the job (luckally no sea cocks to deal with) but from experience my advice is still to be careful even in March!

Last year I went to chalet filled up with water and everything was fine for the full week, Went home and came back a week later for the weekend with my girl friend! came to jumping in to the shower sat morning and my Mira Advanced flex would not work it kept flashing a warning light at me! Which I worked out to be frost damage. So this year I will keep draining down until April...

Moral of the story - don't trust march weather to not freeze over as it does

Thanks Rich