The Black Horse Hoveton

Vaughan

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Can you remember that huge plume of water that came from those boats as they passed Everett's Park on the far side. For a young boy, 15  or 16, may be younger, magical nights. Used to walk from Stradbroke Road to watch the racing

At that age, I was obsessed with the junior class which was tiny boats crewed by kids around the same age. I can still remember one being called something like Shelley's Welly. I used to hound my dad to fund me having a go, but he was not long divorced and had just bought a Broom 30, so in no position to do so financially. The nearest I ever got was a old rowing dinghy with a seagull outboard, which I used to use to shuttle us back and forth between a swinging mooring and the yacht club during Oulton Week, when we raced cruiser class - actually quite successfully, other than the occasion when my dad tried pushing the boom out to catch the wind, only to be pushed backwards overboard. I think it's fairly safe to say whoever was on safety boat duty that day saved my dad's life.