New gear cables

Hi All

Anyone who's ever tried to route a new gear or throttle cable will know it can be a potential pain in the derrier to pull a new one through. As I had to replace both gear cables on Serenity, I cam up with an idea for a little threaded adaptor to screw the new cable to the old one, and so simply pull the new one through as I was withdrawing the old. My brother just happens to be an expert toolmake soon knocked up said widget and it worked a treat.

If only I had ordered the right length cables it would have been perfect! :oops:

post-264-136713797668_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Anyone who's ever tried to route a new gear or throttle cable will know it can be a potential pain in the derrier to pull a new one through. As I had to replace both gear cables on Serenity, I cam up with an idea for a little threaded adaptor to screw the new cable to the old one, and so simply pull the new one through as I was withdrawing the old. My brother just happens to be an expert toolmake soon knocked up said widget and it worked a treat.

If only I had ordered the right length cables it would have been perfect! :oops:

Well at least you have the wrong sized one to pull the right sized one through with!

Looks like a handy little widgit (I wonder how many requests you will get to borrow it!)

I know, I know..... but I was only 250mm out! At least Brian Wards are taking them back and ordering me replacements, even though they were a special order for me!

Although you were 250mm short, it's often just as bad to be 250mm too long as well.

Teleflex cabling takes no prisoners, too short and it won't reach, too long and you have to introduce an uneccessary curve to lose the excess, and that can make the action stiffer...

I always run a "new" cable first with an offcut of 2.5mm T&E, in case the original one wasn't right either. (sorry, another Smug Git comment :) )