Deep Sea Seals

Hi my turbo 36 has an oil leek on one of the deep sea seals.

The story the WRC took the shaft out of the boat to do some work and since refitting it i have lost oil from the oil tank.

Of corse when I went back to them they said it must be a bit worn and dont worry just put a greaser on it instead?.

my seals are oil and water injectinn fed but the oil part is leaking into the bilge so does anyone know if fitting a greaser like the WRC engineer suggested will work or not as we have a big trip coming up but i dont want to lift out till the winter unless I have too.

cheers Barry

It would stop the oil.....because there wouldn,t be any!! :naughty: ,seriously to do that you,d have to fit a grease nipple or a remote greaser...how long your OIL seals would last is a different matter,did they check that the seal is alined ,ie the static is square to the mover??,that,s what,s normally wrong with them when distrubed?? :wave

It would stop the oil.....because there wouldn,t be any!! :naughty: ,seriously to do that you,d have to fit a grease nipple or a remote greaser...how long your OIL seals would last is a different matter,did they check that the seal is alined ,ie the static is square to the mover??,that,s what,s normally wrong with them when distrubed?? :wave

Unfortunatly on a turbo 36 the starboard shaft exits the boat under the shower tray so is an absolute pig to get to so this could well be the propblem. how do you aline it ?

cheersbar

does it look like this???

[attachment=0]manecraft_001-250x250.jpg[/attachment]

not quite I will take a picture next time im there.

the little oil tank has a feed out from the bottom and then into the seal at the engine end then a return into the top of the oil tank

post-777-136713822938_thumb.jpgTake a pic of the thing ,if thv,e had the shaft out ,i wonder if they used whatever ,s in the tube to re assemble it, that could be why it,s leaking oil,i think the water injection part goes outside the boat,for cooling,larger system,s have a lube pump....when you go down next feel if the oils is defo running down the shaft,and it,s not the tube connections??

From what I saw I think you have oil captive between two lip seal to cool and lubricate them. The fresh water will cool and lubricate the cutlass bearing which is captive in the stern tube behind the oil seal.