Reccomend an outboard engine?

Guest Lag1rich

It's not an anchor he's looking for John. :naughty:

Any of the recognised makes will do, they are all as good / bad as one another, do you know what size you need, if not then what size and type of boat is it

It's not an anchor he's looking for John. :naughty: Any of the recognised makes will do, they are all as good / bad as one another, do you know what size you need, if not then what size and type of boat is it

Well, he did say "cheap", David! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Postby Lag1rich » 14 Jun 2011, 20:42

Hi all im looking for a cheap outboard engine to help sell my boat

Antares is right, what size of boat and what speed range (displacement or planing ?)

Most electric outboards like the one you've linked to have a very low power output, only around 1 hp or so. Fine as an auxiliary for pottering slowly and quietly, but rarely enough for the sole motive power for any distance.

I'm a sucker for Seagulls, I think they make perfect standby engines, simple to fix, hardly anything to fail, and quite light for the power output. The big problem is noise ((NOISE :) ). No problem for a reserve engine though....

My other preference is for two stroke over four stroke up to 10 hp. They're much lighter, HP for HP, and very similar on fuel consumption and quietness. I've been using a 4hp Johnson (twin cylinder) for about 15 years now, a great engine, very quiet and smooth, no noticeable smoke or pollution, and it weighs only 15kg. Nice examples can be picked up via Ebay for around £100.

I should think a 2hp short shaft is more than enough for that, any more and you risk it tucking under against the round tail on an inflatable of that type.

Well I took your advice and have bidded and won a 2.2hp short shaft outboard

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SI:GB:1123

A few screws are missing and the starter cord will not pull out but hey hey Im sure it would be no problem for me to sort out..

Richard