Blakes Limited (Norfolk Broads Holidays) 1947

chrisdobson45

My wedding anniversary present this year is a beautiful book "Norfolk Broads Holidays Afloat" from 1947, complete with slip case and 1948 supplement (a schedule of prices & terms). 

I cannot believe the condition for a 74 year old publication. There's an introduction, guide and then details of boats for hire (including houseboats and wherry yachts). The tear out booking form is still intact. There's a few colour sketches (including Oulton Broad, as below).

Many hours of (careful) browsing ahead...

Image (1).jpeg

Image (2).jpeg

Image (3).jpeg

Image (4).jpeg

Image (6).jpeg

• Like 8

• chrisdobson45 changed the title to Blakes Limited (Norfolk Broads Holidays) 1947

My wife found it on the Oxfam website, completely by chance, when looking for something else. She also purchased "The Land of the Broads" by Ernest R Suffling. It's not in the best of condition but there's a hand written inscription on the cover sheet "Norman Macleod from Miss Baley (of Pakefield), September 1892".

The pull out map is intact.

This book appears to be a cruising guide, covering:

(i) Norwich to Yarmouth;

(ii) Up the Bure to Acle Bridge;

(iii) Acle to Aylsham;

(iv) Up the Ant to Barton and Stalham Broads;

(v) The Ant, to North Walsham;

(vi) Thurne Mouth to Hickling & Martham.

There's then a section for the Broad District in each of Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter and a final section regarding the characteristics and dialect of East Norfolk Natives.

There are some lovely illustrations, mainly landscapes and churches, so all in all a really good find. 

Chris I think you will find its a reprint. I have the same one which I purchased from Blakes in 1997.

They printed 1500 (mine is number 866). If you look on the rear of the slipcase it should have No. ? of 1500.

They also reprinted 1908 and 1916 brochures at the same time, plus some reprints of 1920s to 1950s Broads railway posters.

Still, a worthwhile historical item for Broads enthusiasts to own.

16 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Chris I think you will find its a reprint. I have the same one which I purchased from Blakes in 1997.

They printed 1500 (mine is number 866). If you look on the rear of the slipcase it should have No. ? of 1500.

They also reprinted 1908 and 1916 brochures at the same time, plus some reprints of 1920s to 1950s Broads railway posters.

Still, a worthwhile historical item for Broads enthusiasts to own.

You're right, it's number 368/1500, still, an excellent read. The other book is definitely 1892 vintage...