Iolo’s Anglesey

YnysMon

Just been watching the first episode of this wildlife programme. Obviously I’m a bit biased (for those not in the know, Ynys Mon is the Welsh name for Anglesey) but I’ve always thought my childhood home in Anglesey was a wildlife haven. 

Interesting that a few pairs of marsh harriers are starting to establish themselves there. Near the start of the programme Iolo mentions that Malltraeth Marsh, which is now being returned to marshland, was drained and that some coal mining went on there in the 19th century. My great-great-grandfather was a miner there, and lost one of his legs in a mining accident.

There’s also spectacular shot toward the end of the program of the male marsh harrier passing prey to the female mid air.

Mid programme, some interesting shots of adders. We were always warned to look out for adders when going for walks near Holyhead, especially if you walked up ‘the mountain’ (all 700’ of her).

Anyway, I loved the programme and wanted to share.

• Like 3

A chap I used to work with took some fantastic photos and a short video of an Adder dance on Anglesey.

A word of warning. Dogs react badly to Adder bites. A friends Springer lost a toe last year. A bite can often lead to Amputation. I normally see a few in the Marrams between Palling and Winterton but not this year.

9 hours ago, ChrisB said:

A chap I used to work with took some fantastic photos and a short video of an Adder dance on Anglesey.

A word of warning. Dogs react badly to Adder bites. A friends Springer lost a toe last year. A bite can often lead to Amputation. I normally see a few in the Marrams between Palling and Winterton but not this year.

Thanks for posting this warning Chris. We will have to be especially cautious with Seren, as she dashes around like a little whirlwind.