Stern-on mooring with an outboard.

Guest SetFair

Probably the wrong section but here goes..........

For those of you with outboard powered boats - how do you moor stern on at say Ranworth staithe or Beccles Yacht Station without damaging the outboard? Once I've overcome this problem, how do you get ashore without resorting to a gangplank?

I only use these as examples (Yes, I know Beccles YS do side on moorings) but this "problem" may limit where I moor in August 2012 when we intend to do three weeks on our trailored boat.

Bolt on a small bathing platform either side of the outboard, strap a fender to each one and either leave them on or put them on before mooring, if you have chosen suitable platforms you should be able to protect the outboard and have a platform to get on and off from.

We have an outdrive with a bathing platform BUT when the tide is out at Beccles or Oulton Broad it is one h--l of a climb up/down.

I usually unzip the back and jump over not elegant or safe but she steps onto the outdrive (if I'm not watching).

Masters at Beccles normally let side if space when you are mooring.

Paul

We have an outdrive with a bathing platform BUT when the tide is out at Beccles or Oulton Broad it is one h--l of a climb up/down.

I usually unzip the back and jump over not elegant or safe but she steps onto the outdrive (if I'm not watching).

Masters at Beccles normally let side if space when you are mooring.

Paul

when you moor up and tide is low could you not use a little alloy ladder? as long as you dont tie to platform and keyheading you shouldnt have any probs with the tide rising whilst moored

Thought of that but it means leaving the ladder in place while off the boat or visiting the Bear & Bells with a ladder!

Just need to watch her getting on/off.

Biggest problem stern on is trying to put fenders out! They keep moving away! and the platform bangs against the heading. Any suggestions welcome. I have tried cable ties, fenders etc what I want is a semicircular fender.

Inventions please. :bow

Paul

A few ideas so far but I'm trying to avoid fendering the outboard. IMO, no one wants their OB taking the strain, fendered or not, when the boat is bouncing against the bank/quay/mooring.

Still to work out how to get off anyway.

ps. Just to complicate matters, I've got an auxillary on the stb stern quarter. :cry

Thought of that but it means leaving the ladder in place while off the boat or visiting the Bear & Bells with a ladder!

Just need to watch her getting on/off.

Biggest problem stern on is trying to put fenders out! They keep moving away! and the platform bangs against the heading. Any suggestions welcome. I have tried cable ties, fenders etc what I want is a semicircular fender.

Inventions please. :bow

Paul

climb up ladder with boat hook in hand, when up push the ladder back against transom, leave hook neatly tucked behind your boat on key heading. when you return if tide is still down pick up hook and pull ladder over.

As for the fenders, this might be a bit of a long winded method but how about, taking some flat stainless plate and either bolting it trough the tube on platform or nicer to use a 'u' or horse shoe bolt and clamp round the tube. To the flat plate you could bolt on straight bump stop style fenders (like the 'L' shaped things you see on transom corners but straight ones!)

Theres always a way!