Travel Insurance.

Marina and I have been thinking about a trip to Italy this Autumn and perhaps back to Berlin.The problem  is I've had Cancer. I did some phoning today.One companyoffered for the both of us one £1.300 plus for two trips.I phoned the Macmillan  help line.The chap I spoke with was very helpful  and sent me lots of info. 

Okay I have a cocktail  of conditions,but is thet any worse then we all face in life.Each year many people  sadly drop dead without  any pre existing medical  conditions. I think my condition is no worse then anyone else.In fact my Cancer and other ills are under control. It would  be great to get away after a few bad years,but I won't pack my bags yet!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I think my condition is no worse then anyone else.

The trouble is that insurance companies don't think the same way as their customers.

Although its no help I assume that pre-Brexit there would have been no problem - at least some level of cover would have been automatic.

Agreements are in place for medical care in Europe, this is still not a replacement for travel insurance, the same as the pre Brexit scheme.

Search GOV.UK

Home

Travel abroad

Apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

The UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) lets you get state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

If you have a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will be valid until the expiry date on the card. Once it expires, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC to replace it.

The problem with the GHIC card is that it offers free (mostly) medical treatment in state hospitals only. I'm sure the treatment is every bit as comprehensive as private ones, but they tend to be mostly in larger cities. For instance, a few years ago, my late wife and I were in Tenerife... Playa De Las Americas to be precise. She fell and broke her wrist. There was a hospital within walking distance, which we attended. Having called the insurance emergency number (as required), we were told that as an operation may be necessary to align the bones, we would need to relocate to the state hospital in the island capital - Santa Cruz... 47 miles away. In the end it wasn't necessary, but had it been something more serious, we would have had to find a hotel for me to stay in also due to the distance. 

Also, it doesn't provide pre-departure cover for cancellation, or indeed baggage loss etc. I would think carefully before travelling without insurance. Have to say though, that premium is scandalous. It's not easy, but shopping around should help lower that. 

Edited to add, not all travel insurance policies offer treatment in private hospitals. You would need to look into the conditions. The cheaper premiums will most likely have the state hospital provision.