Paddleskedaddle 2024

I noticed that the BA posted on their Facebook page that the annual Paddleskedaddle takes place this Saturday (11th May).  It starts from Sutton Staithe at 09:30, travelling down The Ant, turning left onto The Bure and left again onto The Thurne.  I can’t quite make out where it finishes, the map indicates that it goes as far as West Somerton, but I can imagine many boaters will need to worry what happens upriver of Potter Bridge.  Looking at the internet, there is mention that around 300 entrants will be taking part on SUP’s, prone paddle boards and kayaks.  One trusts that all will have paid their river toll! :default_coat:

The Blessed Authority say that all competitors should observe navigation rules, but as some of them take it very seriously (it is a race after all), I would imagine that a racing line through the corners may be taken! 😉  There should be a bit of sport for the video vultures at Ludham Bridge if any cruisers should try to head upriver!

Anyway, just a heads up for any fellow members who are planning to be afloat in the area over the weekend.  One of the members of the MS syndicate was planning to go to Dilham on Saturday morning.  He has suggested that boxing glove on the end of a boat hook might be useful!  :default_wink:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Might have their BC union number on the blade of their paddle in lieu of a BA toll.

Yeah, I know members of British Canoeing don’t have to pay the toll, but I wonder if any competitors who aren’t BC members will be checked and required to pay.

Just me being cynical, when the BA are crying poverty and squeezing the boating community for increased tolls year on year.

• Like 1

A couple of people have challenged BA about this on Facebook. Apparently, the BA's tolls team has been "busy helping people process payments in advance of the event".