Tinting Windows

Right, after realising that I will need to take my boat to a yard to investigate the solution to my collision damage, I am putting my thoughts into some window tint. I aim to stick some film on them but I know that there’s two types: building and vehicle. One apparently shrinks and  causes damage if applied to flat windows. I have flat windows so I guess that means I need buildings type. As my boat has sliding side windows I suppose it would be sensible to put film on the outside of one and the inside of the other to prevent it being damaged by the felt of one window sliding along the other. Is this a good idea?

Can I put just about any building tint on either the inside or outside or are there special ones for each?

Again, I have some metal handles attached to the glass which might make cutting a pain. Any tips you have for this? I don’t need the job to be perfect, just not noticeably patchy from a few feet away.

Thank you most kindly.

I would use building window tint and follow the instructions exactly.

Car window tint can be a bit softer and can scratch more.

I would go for both internally as it may not weather well. Give the felt a good brush or try and remove it if you can.

Remove any handles that you can.

It is a bit of a job to do, I usually end up screwing some of it up and swearing. Order 20% extra.

Might be worth contacting our sponsors BK Windows for a quote or possibly as a source of supply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of those tinted windows are one way :default_icon_cool: :default_biggrin: not so good if you get it wrong. Just imagine being stuck to the glass trying to see out while people walking past are admiring your upholstery.

Sorry and just a thought. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

:default_winko::default_laugh:

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

Some of those tinted windows are one way :default_icon_cool: :default_biggrin: not so good if you get it wrong. Just imagine being stuck to the glass trying to see out while people walking past are admiring your upholstery.

Sorry and just a thought. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

I can imagine worse scenarios than that if I get it wrong :default_smile::default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I would go for both internally as it may not weather well. Give the felt a good brush or try and remove it if you can.

It's the bit that is vertical and blocks the space between the two panes that slide. Seems that I’d need to keep that on? 

Remove any handles that you can.

It is a bit of a job to do, I usually end up screwing some of it up and swearing. Order 20% extra.

Might be worth contacting our sponsors BK Windows for a quote or possibly as a source of supply.

Yes I will go for building variety. I will give BK a buzz re supply. I can’t afford to get a company to fit, so I will have to approach with an extra roll and as much serenity as I can muster.

• Like 2

Just now, wooster said:

It's the bit that is vertical and blocks the space between the two panes that slide. Seems that I’d need to keep that on? 

You would need to put it back after the film is fitted, it is easier to fit without it if you can remove it.

I did my son's patio doors the other week, it is worse than wallpapering.😁

• Like 2

I did my son's patio doors the other week, it is worse than wallpapering.😁

I have promised to do my 18yr old sons car, got all the bits, pre-cut tint too for the make and model, this apparently makes it easier, draw back is there can be no mistakes, dreading it, keep putting it off, would rather rebuild an engine or put a plank in a boat…, 🤪

Edited by PCL023
Typo
  • Like 1