On the scrounge

seaboater

My two nieces, aged 5 and 9, are coming to stay with us for a week, commencing Sunday 5th August. We'd like to take them out on the boat but have no childrens life jackets. I'm loathe to fork out £100 or so for what may be one trip out, but equally I won't take them without lifejackets.

So by now you've got my drift.......is anyone living near the Broads, not needing it themselves that week, willing to lend me a couple of jackets? Needless to say (but I will), I would pick up and return.

Pat

As I usually have to take Tazman's five kids with me when I go to the Broads,

and I prefer to know that their jackets fit (and have crutch straps)

I have a full range of children's foam jackets (new-born to large child),

(Baltic Bambi for the new-born - 12 months and Crewsaver with integral harness for the older ones)

They were all bought with salty sailing in mind as well as Broads holidays.

If you do and let me know the sizes required

(Kids jackets are normally sized by weight and chest measurements)

so if you can give me some idea of those I can sort out the best ones

and post them up to you

(it is just a bit late to get anyone going to the Beccles meet to carry them up for you!)

(I also have some junior Seago auto-inflating ones, but as Mark said they are certainly

too big for a 5 year old, but I did manage to adjust one (just) for a small 8/9 year old this year)

Personally I prefer foam jackets for small kids anyway,

the auto inflates also have a firing toggle which they can find tempting

and new canisters are expensive...

If you eventually want to get your own I recommend Ebay, that is where mine all came from

and you can usually get some good savings.

You do take a bit of a risk with auto-inflates but can check them on arrival,

and their is no real risk with Foam)

Let me know a.s.a.p. and pm your address if you do so I can get them in the post to you.

Martin

post-609-136713933887_thumb.jpg

post-609-136713933905_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark, many thanks for the offer, but I think as you say that it will be too big. The nine year old is a very slight girl.

Hi Martin, many thanks also, sounds like you may have something suitable. I'll PM you asap with some sizes.

Regards,

Pat

• 1 month later...

The proposed course of action by Martin (Goodall_M1) worked a treat, and the jackets have been used for a good couple of days out on the water. Now returned with many thanks to Martin.

I'm making this final post on the subject to acknowledge both Martin's kindness, and the benefits of being part of a forum which has so many kind and helpful members. There's no better place to get advice and help with broads boating.........even when you're on the scrounge! cheers