Love The Broads scheme launched to encourage tourism

jillR

We have a book on walks from broads moorings called 'Water to Land' it was written by a local group and printed in Stalham.

The books are available from our receptions and all the profits get donated :dance

Its a great little book and you dont have to be a customer of ours to suport it. :)

The reports of this news raise some interesting questions and points.

As the post is currently funded elsewhere, the projected £14k that may be raised this year can go back into the area. But as we all know, red tape will swallow a good deal of this, such as planning permission, wayleave agreements, insurance and other parties wanting to get their cut of any work. But what does £14k really buy?

I think the scheme has great intentions, but the one that's been running in the Lakes is about 17 years old and it's only managed to collect £2m. That's a lot of effort for a relatively small sum.

I'd be very happy to support this, but can't help wondering at the overall effectiveness.

I tend to agree with Andy on this, and particularly how effective it can be, when considering the overhead of running it as well.

The "extra £1" on a holiday, and "five pence" on a cup of tea seems like an awkward blend of voluntary contribution and "visitor" tax.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe very strongly in the balance between conserving any natural area without restricting the maximum practical access to it (afloat, driving, and on foot).

I dont think there is much of an overhead but surely something is better than nothing especially if there is there is the chance of additional funding from grants..

You dont have to pay the extra, I am fairly sure it is voulantry, we dont do this , we sell a book where all the proceeds go to the trust.

As I have said on another thread, this is a great opportunity for All Broads based businesses to have a go at getting a little bit of publicity for the area, this is not just for boaters or cottages or cycle hire it is for all of us who complain that there is no one promoting the Broads as a destination.