Best helm position?

brandenjg

Cobblers!

It will get under most bridges (except possibly Wroxham or Potter) if given enough power on approach, 

that problem that occurred last year with Challenger IV was caused because they just didn't give her enough umph...

(of course the yard might not want to send her out again next week...) 

N.B. it is not recommended to be steering from the fly-bridge when attempting to pass through any bridge!

• Like 3

I think Strowager has given probably the most in depth and informative answer possible here. As i was reading all the posts, i was thinking of reasons and examples, and Strow has put them all, great post Strow.

As for which type of boat, i`d recommend the ubiquitous Elysian 27 aft cockpit, either with a diesel or petrol inboard, and shaft drive. There are hundreds to choose from, some in good condition, some in poor, but the price SHOULD reflect that. One thing i will say about sports cruisers is that they don`t tend to be as spacious as a purpose made river estuary cruiser, and can be, because of their hull shape, prone to roll in certain conditions. Other variations on the Elysian, are the Seamaster range, again 25-27ft and with petro land deisel variants. The Birchwood 25 is another good example, and if you can get one cheap enough, a Princess 25,, though very often the last 2 were mostly sterndrives, but with the occaisional shaft drive example being built.

Good luck, and regards to all ............................ Neil.

• Like 1