Urgent Boating News

ranworthbreeze

Please find attached important information from the Boat Safety Scheme relating to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Kind regards.

Chris Bailey

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Direct Dial: (01603) 756007

email: chris.bailey@broads-authority.gov.uk

Robert McLean

Boat Safety Scheme

First Floor North, Station House,

500 Elder Gate,

Milton Keynes, MK9 1BB

Tel: 07710 175478 / 0333 202 1000

Email: Robert.m@boatsafetyscheme.org

Feb 2014

NR 001.14

BSS points boatersto important safety issues highlighted by recent boat tragedies

In the space of a few days, three people on two vessels have died from suspected carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and the Boat Safety Scheme is pointing boat owners to its advice to help stay safe.

A man living on his narrowboat in Banbury died along with his pet dog and two fishermen have been found dead aboard their vessel in Whitby harbour.

In the context of the initial reports that these people may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, boat skippers and crews are being strongly encouraged to take stock and ensure that they are properly protected against the threat from the extremely toxic gas.

CO is a colourless, odourless gas – often dubbed the ‘Silent Killer’ – and can kill quickly if inhaled in high concentrations. The early symptoms of poisoning are similar to flu or food poisoning, and include headaches, nausea and dizziness.

CO poisoning isa significant threat when sufficient heating and electrical power is difficult to maintain for people aboard boatson the inland waterways especially where the use of heaters and generators rises particularly in the colder, darker months.

Any fuel burning equipment can be a potential source of CO including stoves, gas appliances and any engine exhaust.

The Boat Safety Scheme warns that CO build-up in boat cabins can occur with any one or a mix of these factors:

• with faulty, badly maintained or misused appliances
  • exhaust fumes from a boat's engine or generator
  • escaped flue gases from solid fuel stoves
  • blocked ventilation or short supply of air - fuels need the right amount of oxygen to burn safely

Boat Safety Scheme advice on avoiding a carbon monoxide incident is to:

• Install fuel burning appliances properly
  • Maintain appliances and engines routinely
  • Use the equipment correctly
  • Don't allow engine fumes into the cabin space
  • Deal with problems immediately
  • Don't allow bodged repairs and maintenance
  • Install a CO alarm certified to as meeting BS EN 50291-2
  • Test the alarm routinely
  • Never remove the batteries
  • Know the signs of CO poisoning and how to react

Continues …

Cont/d…

Graham Watts, manager of the Boat Safety Scheme said:

‘Over a million people go boating safely each year including thousands of people who live aboard on the inland waterways, but our reminder to crews and skippers is to treat the risks with due respect.

He added:

‘Prevention is the key to staying safe, equipment needs to be properly installed, well maintained and used according to the instructions.

‘But CO can occur or be made worse when ventilators are blocked, or fresh air is in short supply – burning fuels need the right amount of oxygen to combust safely.

‘Our belt and braces advice is to fit a CO alarm approved as meeting BS EN 50291-2; these are best suited for boats.

CO alarms and/or their batteries should be replaced if they do not work when tested, or if the replacement date marked on the alarm has passed.

The All Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) is also urging boaters to follow Boat Safety Scheme advice, which will help protect boaters from dying or being seriously injured from the noxious gas.

Supporting the BSS message, APPCOG chair Barry Sheerman MP, said:

‘Yet again we have been given a tragic reminder that carbon monoxide poisoning poses a deadly threat not only in the home, but in a variety of settings, not least on boats and in other vehicles.

‘My condolences go to the families of the deceased and I implore all boat owners and operators to urgently take the necessary steps to ensure their vessels are fully protected against the threat of CO poisoning.

‘If you are in any doubt about what to do, visit the Boat Safety Scheme website, where you’ll find clear and helpful guidelines on how to make your boat CO safe.’

The BSS has the latest advice for boaters on www.boatsafetyscheme.org/CO – Don’t let CO ruin your life.

ENDS

NOTES TO EDITORS

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency.  Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users. Boat Safety Scheme www.boatsafetyscheme.org

The All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG) is a cross-party coalition of MPs and peers working together to improve policy around the carbon monoxide sector. The Group also provides a forum for Parliamentarians, gas industry representatives and other key stakeholders to discuss issues affecting the gas industry and consumers. The APPCOG is chaired by Barry Sheerman MP, Jason McCartney MP and Baroness Finlay of Llandaff. www.policyconnect.org.uk/appcog/

Journalists seeking further information about the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group should contact Dominic Gillan at dominic.gillan@policyconnect.org.uk; 0207 7922 7804

REPORTER’S CONTACT

BSS: communications manager, Rob McLean, Tel 0333 202 1000 mbl: 07710 175478

I have a warning that I don't think I've ever seen mentioned anywhere, it's about Fridges fitted in rear cockpits and I've seen loads of these on boats,,,

last year my daughter loaned her boat to her in-laws while she hired a big one for her and the kids, we were around two days into the holiday when Chris's Dad started to feel unwell so we all moored up, a few hours later he was Ok again, next day we set off and the same thing happened, again we moored up, we thought he just had a bug or something as he was the only one of the four on the boat feeling unwell, While sitting on the boat with Dave I noticed that where Doug was sitting, there was a Gas vent for the fridge directly in front of him, it then clicked into place when Dave mentioned Carbon monoxide, the fumes from the fridge were the cause, now all this happened with the canopy down it was just the fact he was sitting over the vent, we took the cupboard door off the fridge for more ventilation and covered the vent, and Doug was fine for the rest of the holiday, so don't think just because you think things are well ventilated they are, and be very careful where you put vents,,,

Frank,,,

To be honest! I'm not one for rules and regs, but I think Carbon Monoxide alarms should be compulsory and part of the BSS, I hate to think what might have happened if anyone decided to sleep out in the cockpit, on previous boats I did it all the time when I had a late fishing session or it was to warm, my daughters boat had a new BSS on it, but when I checked  the fridge there is no gas vent to the outside of the boat like the one you need fitted if the fridge is on the inside, I don't know if the tester missed it or it doesn't come under BSS rules, but I know of two boats in out marina with the same set up, we were going to fit the proper gas vent before the season starts, but my problem is that where it would have to be fitted is just below the edge of the canopy so any fumes would vent up under the canopy, I'm trying to talk them into an electric fridge, more expense but it's easier to deal with a flat battery than a dead person,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Mmmm! never thought of that! but after seeing what some people do even on private boats nothing surprises me, I know they have improved a lot now and I test mine at least once a month, I wonder how the law would see it if someone turned it off or took out the battery's and it resulted in someone's death??

Frank,,,,,,,,,  

Hi Frank,

I have one close to my boiler, it was replaced over a year ago as it starts bleeping once the batteries are getting flat. Last approx 3 years.

I do agree with you that all detectors have improved over the years. They are not that expensive either. You can't put a price on safety.

• Like 3