Hydraulics

Guest Felix

Guest Felix

I recently bought a boat with hydraulic drive and want to know whether I have to use the same fluid for topping up, if necessary, or if the system has to be drained and refilled because I have no idea about the stuff that is in at the moment. If so, how do I find out which type I need?

I would take advice from a boatyard on this one mate, it is crutial the right oil is used for your system as putting the wrong type in would be a disaster :o:o

The whole thing would have to be drained stripped and cleaned, not an expense you would welcome!! What sort of boat is it? I would recommend taking it into a hire yard that run similar boats and get their advice for the oil to use cheersbar

Guest Felix

Thanks jimbo and jill. The previous owner does not know and I was expecting the answer I got from Jimbo. The boat is a DC 30 and has run perfectly well in the 5 months I have had her. not using oil or hydraulic fluid, but I don't want to be caught out!

Where abouts are you moored?? North I would say a call into Richardson's would be a good idea as they have had DC30's in their fleet.

South I would say Peachments in Brundall are the experts and are very friendly to deal with.

Like I've already said it if deffinately one for the proffesionals to answer! My Bounty uses a type of oil called TERESSTIC T46 which is clear, the problem that occurs with putting the wrong sort in is it curdles with the existing oil requiring a full strip down to clean it all out so you wont want to get it wrong :norty: