More questions (sorry)

Guest SteveB

Thanks All

Getting ever closer to the big day this Saturday (first Time) I will be there, just a couple of other questions that the other couple in the party have decided that I should ask.

1) I am aware that the hire people Blake’s in our case will supply duvets but what about sheets and pillows does anybody have any idea if these are included, also what about towels & tea-towels???

2) I am also a keen caravanner I have a 12 volt cool box with a cigarette lighter type socket that I believe there is on the 12volt system a socket for this type of connector, my question is could I use the cool box as a second fridge and if so will this have a serious effect on the battery life onboard, I will not be watching very much TV just lighting and hopefully it wont be needed heating.

Many thanks for all the previous answers and hopefully the one's to this post.

Steve

:-D

Hi Steve,

Sheets and pillows etc are normally provided in a standard hire, you may like to bring some extra pillows with you as you will probably only get 1 each.

Providing you have a 12v car type outlet on the boat you should be fine, the altertnator charges the batteries as you go along, as long as they are in decent nic and you do a couple of hours a day cruising you will be fine.

Give the yard a call as some boats have 3 pin 12v plugs only, worth checking on the linin while you are on the phone too.

Ian

To be honest I'd be a tad wary of using the 12v coolbox too much. Of course it will be OK while the engine is running and for a couple of hours when not. Overnight use I think would be too hard on the battery. I know a couple of people who when on site with their vans have accidentally left the coolbox plugged into the power source in the back of their estates. A third left it plugged in on an overnight ferry. In all cases next morning the battery was bang flat.

I appreciate that you will be working off the domestic and not the starter battery, but again have come across a couple of situations where the split charging systems seem to act a bit oddly when one of the batteries is very low. Maybe HW use a double alternator set-up, in which case that won't be an issue I think.

Re not using the heating much, hmmmm it is September and can be cold on the water in mornings and evenings. Hope it isn't as you will then have had a cracking week weatherwise.

Have a good time whatever you decide.

Regds

OB

Hi All

Just a couple more quick questions, does anybody no were i can get a list of Public showers from (the OH wants them) and also were do i take on water and empty the toilet at

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Public showers are quite hard to find from my expererience. You shouldn't need to get a toilet pump out if you're only going for a week, if for some reason you do, most boatyards do pumpouts. As for water, it's available at most of the BA's public moorings, and again at most boatyards. Remember to top up with water every day, as you'd be amazed at how quickly it goes, and take care to rinse off the end of the hose before using it, as you don't know where it has been. Hope this helps.

Barns brinkcraft at wroxham have a shower costs a couple of pounds, think there are showers at the Lion at Thurnmouth as well plus Great Yarmouth Yacht Station, the ferry Marina at Horning in the swimming pool, not too private as they are the changing room showers. Sure others will be able to add to the list up north, down south they can be found at Beccles yacht basin, Oulton Broad Yacht station, there are baths and washing machines there as well, no gain from getting in the machine though as this is 50p more than the bath, Wavney River Centre, The Ferry at Reedham Ferry and Norwich Yatch Station.

There are also some of the hire yards that have them but you will have to find them out and they tend to close at 5.30.

Hope this helps but you will probably find the shower on the boat will be absolutley fine.

Ian

Thanks All

Once again it proves what a usefull website this is made good by the people who post on it, it is the best source of information on the norfolk broads that i have found.

Many thanks

Steve :Stinky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Old Bill was right we did drop on some good weather and what a great time we had, i will post all the details in the holiday tales possibly next week when i have caught up at work.

Just one down side was that i was a bit dissapointed with the boat we hired, i realise that it is the end of the season and boats get a bit shabby but this was a bit more than that, dark gloomy interior, poor lighting and a occasional strong wiff of diesel, not sure if all boats are like this but some other boats i looked at didnt seem to be as bad, anyway this didnt spoil the holiday and we had a brill time.

Spent the last nightback in Herbert Woods Boatyard and the staff were brill they said any boat we wanted to look at provided it was empty and ready to go out for hire we could have a look round, which is when we found it Superior Light what a beauty, so between the four of us it was decided that next September its going to be the Superior Light. the only problem being it wont go under Potter, Wroxham or Becles bridges, but we are thinking of doing the southern broads anyway.

Dont have all the gem on her but if anybody wants to look it up its on blakes website boat ref BBG30

Thanks again to all who provided help

Steve

:-D :Stinky

You had some cracking weather :dance its good that Herby let you look at the other boats, Rather a good idea.

To be honest i'm surprised that the yards don't have a Viewing Day after the season has finished for all potential customers wanting to look about the fleet to

see which boat is best for them to hire. That's a idea :idea: