"Hey your engine is backwards!"

MBA Marine

Look at the gearbox on the link below,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-boat-vee-drive-marine-gearbox-for-inboard-engine-/121378408669?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item1c42b788dd

I was offered this unit when I visited the gent selling it, I have not seen such a beastie before, I had no use for it but if I was much older and retired I would have liked to make something with it just for the fun of mounting an engine in a boat with the gearbox end pointing forwards!

Im to lazy to swipe the pictures of the ebay side to post so you's will have to look at the ad, unless someone else who likes to play with computers fancies a play. 

I was surprised when V-drive gearboxes fell from popularity. They were very popular back in the 70's.

The ability to get the engine away from the accommodation and up against the transom and yet still have a shaft drive, and without too steep an angle.

I guess stern drives took over due to their advantages, despite the greater importance of regular maintenance.

The V drives had the big advantage of being very simple, with just a few bearings and a bevel gear set, almost as simple as a conventional gearbox, and all contained with the boat hull.

The Z drives always had me worried, if they hit anything, there's no safety "lifting" feature as with outdrives and outboards.

I'd always have visions of a bl**dy great hole suddenly appearing in the hull !

I was surprised when V-drive gearboxes fell from popularity. They were very popular back in the 70's.

The ability to get the engine away from the accommodation and up against the transom and yet still have a shaft drive, and without too steep an angle.

I guess stern drives took over due to their advantages, despite the greater importance of regular maintenance.

Quite so Strow,

In October 77 we hired a Seamaster 25 called "Gold Pieces" from Buccaneer boats in Brundall which had a V drive. As you rightly say, it meant there was no engine box near the cabin door, so made access and space much better, with no ingress into the cabin requiring a large step etc. I`ve often wondered why this arrangement was NOT more popular on hire boats, as living space is always a good advert. It also meant the aft bench seat was warm to sit on, for a while anyway.

Regards to all ........................ Neil.