Horning part of Three Rivers Way added

Boaters

It is good to see progress being made. The only disappointing thing about this route is that very little of it is actually close to the rivers, with the exception of the section that runs along the banks of the Thurne. 

We'll give some of it a go though.

cheersbar

Steve

It is indeed good news.

The section between Horning and Ludham Bridge is the most dangerous for pedestrians at the moment, the A1062 being a busy but narrow road with no footpaths and without even a level grass verge along much of that length. It also has no alternative parallel quieter lanes, which thankfully exist over most of the rest of the route.

The news article is very vague in its detail, and the map makes it very difficult to relate where this new section of right of way is.

This google aerial view and section of OS map shows how it links the quiet back lane into Horning (School Road), and the A1062 about a quarter of a mile from Ludham Bridge.

I've actually walked this route several times over the last few years, not realising that Horning Hall driveway was private.

As the article says, the existing public right of way across the high ground to school road has some very picturesque views.

This is a very good development for the Three Rivers Way Project, well done to Horning Hall Farm for their benevolence in giving this new right of way.

post-195-0-56711400-1426197534_thumb.jpg

Thanks for explaining that Stowy,is it the bit round the boatyard that has to be resolved now ?

Yes, though as I understand it, all the legal aspects have been resolved, it just appears to be a very low priority for whoever is charged with the very minimal groundwork itself.

I understand that all the landowners agreed some time ago, and yet the small amount of fencing and surfacing for the very short linking section keeps getting postponed.

According to Parish meetings, it was originally scheduled for two years ago, then last year, then "early 2015", but there's still no sign of it being started yet.

This Google aerial view that I posted some time ago is still the plan, with the new link section in green. two thirds of it already exists as an old fenced farm track between the Caravan site and Nuttals compound, and less than two hundred yards is needed to link it to the existing River Ant bankside footpath that leads all the way down to St Benets Abbey (and beyond).

That does run alongside the river, but has been a dead end since the boatyard closed access to it about 5 years ago.

I'm not sure who has to perform the actual ground work, but I believe it is the BA.

It's a shame that it keeps getting postponed, especially with apparently no valid reason given, and all this publicity about the "Three Rivers Way"  rubs salt in the wound.....  :(

post-195-0-38428000-1426229914_thumb.jpg