Lifejacket - Servicing - Warnings

JawsOrca

Hi All,

Ok so now it's the new season I thought I'd dig our lifejackets. I was a bit surprised to see that both the auto activators were out of date and I thought I had replaced them "last" year?! Apparently the dates on these are only three years.  So I need to order new kits for both :(

A few years ago, someone at the yacht club showed me how to check these myself, I've shared below encase anyone interested. Obviously this is my advise only (and better than ignoring) and all lifejackets should be serviced by a professional company every two years. 

Annually (Although I do most of this before serious use)

- Check the condition of the jacket, buckles and webbing. Any damage then discard the jacket and replace.

- Carefully unzip them and check that the seams are all good. If not replace the jacket.

- You can try and blow it up manually if possible using the blow tube.

-  Carefully unscrew the CO bottle. Inspect the bottle, if rusty or doesn't look brilliant discard and replace.

- The CO bottles have a weight on the side, weigh these on kitchen scales, if the weight doesn't match then discard and replace. Screw back in (hand tight. DON'T Over tighten).

- Check the date on the plastic case (auto only) if its out of date discard and replace.

- Ensure all the plastic activation caps are in place. If not replace (You may need to purchase a co2 bottle and activation cap too).

Before use.

- the co2 bottle can come unscrewed, if so carefully screw back in (again hand tight.. don't overtighten. You can put lock-tight on there but I've never fancied that idea and religiously check they are screwed in).

- Check the date on the auto activation case, if beyond the date get one ordered (be aware too the jacket may not auto activate so ensure the manual pull cord is accessible and if you go on be prepared to pull it).

I use this company for service parts (http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejackets-Servicing.htm).. I did look on Brian wards website although I can't see a full range :(..

Again ... this post is intended for advice only and I am fully aware that all lifejackets should be serviced by a professional company every two years.

cheers

• Like 4

Hi Alan,

I'd like to think that this is a good mid season check.. I understand the servicing companies test inflate them at pressure  and do other bits (?!) but this again is a good self check that I do when they are being used (also shows how long it's been since I had any serious use out of them!!)..

cheers

...... I understand the servicing companies test inflate them at pressure  and do other bits (?!) but this again is a good self check that I do when they are being used (also shows how long it's been since I had any serious use out of them!!)....

I check all of my self inflating lifejackets myself every year, and I always test inflate them manually too, a vital part of having confidence in them, I feel.

A professional tip when test infalting them is to use a low pressure pump, rather than blowing them up by mouth, as this avoids getting condensation inside them.

There are loads of really good videos on Youtube explaining how users can test them themselves, rather than relying on someone else doing it for them. I have much greater confidence in them after I found out exactly how they work and became familiar with the crucial parts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=life+jacket+servicing+how+to&biw=1031&bih=544&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=LqYqVY7QGamS7AbbgIE4&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubc6NGGdvgE

I even test any brand new ones that I buy, just in case :)