barton upon irwell

ferryman

hi there attached is a photo of the river irwell in the background is the bridgewater canal aquaduct ,on the river in the foreground there is a weir and a lock but the lock is quite short and opens up into the river anyone any ideas on this ? many thanks

post-302-0-35211900-1435663500_thumb.jpg

Hello Ferryman,

There is very little of navigation left in its original form since the building of the Mancester Ship Canal.

The Barton Swing Aquaduct looks interesting.

For some information on the Irwell and the Barton Swing Aquaduct please see the following links:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_and_Irwell_Navigation

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/bridgewater/bartonaqueduct.htm

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Ferryman, it looks to me as if it is the old lock at Barton on Irwell, it comes out just east underneath the bridgewater canal .  by the way it was called Barton Lock.  andya

Hi Ferryman, it looks to me as if it is the old lock at Barton on Irwell it comes out just east underneath the bridgewater canal . Looking a bit more I noticed the lock is still there and in a conservation area , so hopefully it will be saved.  andya